HELP! Need unconfusing about egg carton method hatch

teenchik

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 17, 2010
Hey everyone,
Alright, I started the egg carton method because my shipped eggs had jiggly air sacs. I wanted the eggs to be in the best position to keep the air sac stable. We started with 46 shipped and we now have 21 going into lock down, all of their air sacs seem to have stabilized except for 6. But the chicks are moving well when candled.

Now since I already have them in carton should I let them hatch there? All I did is cut the top off the egg carton. Should I do anything else to the cartons before lock down later today? Would it be best to lay them on their side now?

I really have no clue as to what to do now to prepare for lock down. Please let me know.. I'm a bit worried about this next step..

Christal

Last edited:
I use paper cartons only. I do this for all my chicken, turkey and quail eggs.
I cut a hole out of each egg container in the bottom so to speak.
But I take mine out of the carton when they go into lockdown. I have left them in the carton and did not get a good hatch.
I just hatched 16/18 shipped white orps like this, I usually have very high hatch rates with shipped eggs.

I always incubate and hatch in the carton, and i have really good hatch rates also. I have read that some folks think you should hatch in the same position you incubate, but if mamawolf had different experience, it may or may not be a factor at all. I'm not sure.

I leave all of mine in the carton all the way thru hatching and have never had any problems!! Just don't forget
to "turn" them! I just stick a smaller piece of carton under the carton I have the eggs in and move it to the other side
every morning and then again in the evening.
Also doesn't make as much of a mess in your bator!!

Hey Teenchik, all I can say is that my hatch rate was a lot better without the egg cartons. I don't know why, just didn't have that much luck with them. I also read in a poultry book that the egg cartons are great until day 18 and then you should lay them flat. So...your call.

I hatch in egg cartons.... the cardboard kind acts like a wick with the water though. However I have used both kinds. I just completed a hatch of 20, and 18 hatched.

31282_dscf3390.jpg

31282_dscf3604.jpg

31282_dscf3636.jpg

31282_dscf3687.jpg

Ok everyone here is what I came up with.

I cut the bottom off some egg cartons. I decided to use the plastic they had been incubating in all along. I didn't want the paper to mess up the humidity. I cut them down to basically connected plastic rings. Then used some wire to hold the plastic rings in place. So basically it will hold the eggs up at a slight angle to keep those with jiggly air sacs in place. I will see how they turn out. If most of these twenty one hatch I will be happy, considering it is my first shipped egg hatch.

Do you all think this is a good halfway place for the eggs? Some stability, yet almost laying flat.

53024_lockdown.jpg

My only suggestion beyond what you've done already is to candle them from the top (you don't even need to take them out, just put a flashlight flush against them as they sit there) and rotate the eggs so the larger side of the air cell is up/toward the front. They tend to pip right where the air cell is lowest on the shell, and that way you will see the pips and not worry that an egg isn't hatching or be tempted to open things up and look for bottom-pippers.

I hatched my last batch standing straight up, and it was the slickest hatch ever. I'm totally sold on the method.

Blacksheep,

My only suggestion beyond what you've done already is to candle them from the top (you don't even need to take them out, just put a flashlight flush against them as they sit there) and rotate the eggs so the larger side of the air cell is up/toward the front. T

I did do that.. I checked on the air sacs.. the lowest point of the air sac is the point that is pointing upward. I am so excited.. The only other I'm worried about is the temp is about 99.2 in there instead of around 100.8 like it has been..The house has dropped temp with a cold front. I don't think this should be that much of a problem do you? I have the incubator in my bedroom so if the peeps start at night I will hear them..

Oh my gosh, is this my midlife crisis.. No more human babies so I have to have chick babies instead.. Lord Help me...

Christal​

Back
Top Bottom