Help Needed ASAP For A Skinny Chicken

LuvinChickens

Songster
7 Years
Feb 28, 2012
Northern, CA
Hi,
I have a 9 month old Serama rooster who is very skinny. He is also lethargic. I currently have him in my room with a heat lamp, because it is fairly cold. I gave him a mash of chicken food and water, and he ate almost all of it. His crop is very large now and I am pretty worried about that. Is that OK?
I noticed his condition at around 1:30, and I am pretty sure he was acting normal yesterday.
I am pretty sure he is like this because he was living with another rooster who picked on him a lot and probably kept him from getting much food. He might also have worms, but I am afraid to worm him now, as it might be tool much of a shock to his system.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Azteck.

Check his crop in the morning to see if it is empty. If it is not empty, could be sour crop/impacted crop problems I have read.

Also, some vets will do a fecal float test for worms for a small fee (false negatives are possible) if you are afraid to worm him. Skinny and lethargic could mean worms, but also could be other things of course.

Any diarrhea?

Alright, so an update on the little roo. It sounds like he has a respiratory infection, so I am going to give him some tetracycline. His crop was about half the size in the morning, but not entirely empty. I will try to give him some ACV if his respiratory problem starts to get better. He did however decide to talk to me a little this morning, so he might be doing a bit better.

Alright, so an update on the little roo. It sounds like he has a respiratory infection, so I am going to give him some tetracycline. His crop was about half the size in the morning, but not entirely empty. I will try to give him some ACV if his respiratory problem starts to get better. He did however decide to talk to me a little this morning, so he might be doing a bit better.
A better antibiotic for a respiratory disease would by Tylan50. If you don't notice improvment when using the tetracycline, try Tylan. Its stronger, and especially good for respiratory diseases.

His respiratory problem seems better after two days of tetracycline, but I will continue treatment for another three days. After that I will give him some ACV to help any crop problems that he might have. He crows every morning, so he must feel a bit better.

A big thank you to everyone who gave me advice! The little roo is doing a lot better. There are no more signs of a respiratory problem, and he is gaining weight back.
Thank you so much!
Azteck!

Back
Top Bottom