The missing one is probably due to a larger predator. A raccoon eats there and rarely tries to move the kill. A coyote probably took the one and left no trace.

I'm from PA, originally where coyotes are our biggest problem. but over here on chinciteague we dont have coyotes.

Only foxes. Would that take her?

So pretty much what I'm asking you guys with your experience.... is should I continue to search? or you think useit's useless, shes not coming back .. I know you guys dont know for SURE. But I'm sure you all have delt with this before.

I'm devastated, I look at my hens like anyone would a dog or cat. I feel like I've let them down! :/

A fox would take it and leave no trace behind. They may stop every 50 to 100 feet to get a better bite, and that short struggle may leave a feather or two there.

So good chance you have both a fox and coons (plural on the coons).

When you catch it, you should just shoot it. A single .22 shot to the fore head If there is a remote area nearby you can leave it there......buzzards will have it cleaned up in no time.

A fox would take it and leave no trace behind. They may stop every 50 to 100 feet to get a better bite, and that short struggle may leave a feather or two there.

So good chance you have both a fox and coons (plural on the coons).

When you catch it, you should just shoot it. A single .22 shot to the fore head If there is a remote area nearby you can leave it there......buzzards will have it cleaned up in no time.

Why leave it when you can skin it and tan the hide to sell? Waste of resources on that one imo.

PS: If using live trap, dry cat food will catch both a fox and coons. Will likely have better results if you drape a blanket, tarp, etc over and around the sides of the trap to create a tunnel. That only leaves one way in. You might place the open back up against the side of the run to make them think that tunnel is a good way in.

Why leave it when you can skin it and tan the hide to sell? Waste of resources on that one imo.

At $5 or whatever a coon hide brings these days, I wouldn't skin one for it......but thats me. If anyone else wants to skin a coon, fox, possum, mink, ermine, etc, they have my permission!!! And the buzzards, crows and bald eagles won't mind the help with the fur either.

What should I bait my trap with?!
I have it set, I read that sweets attract raccoons but I've already caught one and I dont think a raccoon took her in broad daylight. Or would it? I'm new to this.

And my coop is secure it's the run. I let them out of the coop during the day and never had any problems , but I put them up before it gets dark to prevent anything from happening. well, the missing one she actually flew out of the run.... so she had been in the yard alone?? I will post picture of coop.
Cat food works great for bait. So sorry to hear about your loss. If racoons are hungry enough they will attack during the day.

Back
Top Bottom