Help Needed in Aftermath of Attack

The duck in the box isn't my boy, so I'm not sure, duckluck. My drake is up and walking around, so that's good.

And he did get an epsom salt soak as per the vet's advice. The wounds look much better today - not sure if it was the salt or the bacitracin or both but whatever it was it's working, thank goodness.

Cool to know that's what vets are recommending. We also use epsom salts when we have them. When we don't, ordinary table salt is a perfectly effective substitute. Glad he's doing better!

Ugh, well I realized due to misreading I've only been giving Crackers one tenth of the amount of medicine he's supposed to be getting. AND I found a huge festering wound on the back of his neck late last night so I think he has to go back to the vet AGAIN because it smells like rotting flesh and apparently the vet didn't notice it the first time. At least he's more energetic today.

That doesn't sound good. :( Bad smells are a sign of infection. Until you can get him to the vet, soak the back of his neck well in the epsom salts. You may have to hold him partially under for five minutes or so--a pain, but it will help with the infection. Still, it sounds like a round of strong antibiotics is in order. Keep us posted!

Yeah, I soaked it good last night. It's like there's a thin flap of skin over it and underneath there's a bunch of hard lumps. It was partially black last night and now the whole thing's black like the flesh died. I'm wondering if it would be best just to scrape the black flesh off, but I don't want to jump the gun. I'm also having an awful time getting him to eat so I put enough sugar in his water to keep him going but I'm going to have to force feed him soon here. It's been at least two days and he's never gonna get better if he doesn't eat.

Yeah, I soaked it good last night. It's like there's a thin flap of skin over it and underneath there's a bunch of hard lumps. It was partially black last night and now the whole thing's black like the flesh died. I'm wondering if it would be best just to scrape the black flesh off, but I don't want to jump the gun. I'm also having an awful time getting him to eat so I put enough sugar in his water to keep him going but I'm going to have to force feed him soon here. It's been at least two days and he's never gonna get better if he doesn't eat.
They will probably have to cut the dead skin away . can you try a mash for him/ just a small about of his feed with warm water made into a mash. what kind of treats does he like? maybe some mashed up peas in warm water? can you pull the skin back when he is soaking? or will it fall back on it's own? that way you maybe able to get some antibiotic salve to the raw flesh.

Pulling for your drake! What a good boy trying to protect his duck. I just lost a drake a couple of weeks ago to a fisher (I am pretty sure) and his girl is missing him! She still has other ducks to socialize with, but you can tell she is still missing him.
sad.png
Will keep your boy in my prayers.

I tried all kinds of treats, mealworms, bananas (which are his favorite, believe it or not) and a food mash, and nothing is interesting him. I'm almost tempted to bring in one of the young females I took back from my aunt and see if he eats with her. If not, all that's left is to force feed :( He drinks well enough, he just doesn't eat.

I am really praying for your drake! I can only imagine how stressful it must be. I lost two drakes last winter to what I think were raccoons. I have two new drakes (i keep them as pets) and now they are secure in a safer night home. I love drakes and I really hope yours gets better. I would definately mash some fruit or duck mash and sprinkle some into his water to get some stuff into him. Maybe the vet will suggest a way to get some nutrients into him? Maybe some sort of nutrient pill to put into the water?
hu.gif

Wish I could be of more help.

I think the only reason he's still moving around is because I'm putting nutri drench in his water and a ton of sugar. He has really watery green poop. Tomorrow I'm making a 'duck food smoothie' and feeding it to him from a syringe if I have to. Thanks so much for all the well wishes! I'm really hoping he comes through this. He's getting fiestier so I have hope.

Back
Top Bottom