HELP needed MY EGG may go bad. PIN HOLE in egg leaking maybe?

202roosterlane

Happy Hen on a Harley
12 Years
Feb 24, 2011
Central Arkansas
I bought a dozen eggs and 4 came in broken and the other eight I gently wash in room temp water to remove any ick from the other eggs. Needless to say one by one 7 of the eggs cracked in the bator and leaked. I don't know if the shells were thin, or a result from the post office....But I had ONE left. I put in bator and hatch date is the 4th. So this morning I put it in lockdown with perfect candleing results. After about an hour or so I "think" I noticed wiggling. So I walked away and waited another hour.....more slight movement. Then I noticed two tiny pin needle spots of light yellowish to clear fluid drying on the outside of the egg. Is it possible the little guy m ay still make it. I examined the egg and you can not see a pin hole and the chick looks perfect inside. I hope that was slight movement I saaw and not just wishful thinking. I did not smell a foul odor but I will have to monitor. Has anyone else had a chick survive this problem?

Last edited:
It could be pipping early. Though normally you don't see anything leaking from it. A picture would be helpful. I know it's hard but all you can do is wait and see.
fl.gif

I would try to put it away from the other eggs, like in a corner or something in case it blows. I am hoping it will be ok, sometimes if there is a humidity issue they have extra fluid but generally oozing is a bad thing.:-(

Hi

A leaking egg is always suspicious and often due to going rotten and pressure building within the egg.

However I would remove it from the incubator and do 3 things:

1. Smell the egg and see if you can detect a bad odour.

2. Hold the air cell end of the egg to your ear in a quiet area and listen for a faint rythmic clicking sound (the chick breathing when it has internally pipped).

3. If you cant smell or hear anything then candle the egg and observe for movement or shadows in the air cell.

Hope that helps you and best of luck
smile.png

Pete
wink.png

well thank you for the responses. I did as you all said and finally it stated to smell. So I went ahead and disposed of it. I am so disapointed.
hit.gif
I will have to buy some more and try it again. But you guys and gals are the best.

Back
Top Bottom