PLEASE HELP!! Almost day 33 and think my gosling needs help!

WishUponaGosling

In the Brooder
Jul 17, 2023
HELLO!
I am brand new here but have been DEVOURING everything from this forum trying to hatch this gosling I was given!!! Everyone here is so helpful, so I figured I'd give it a go!
I am freaking out because I've fallen in love with this little guy and want him/her to hatch SO BAD- but am in rut! So here's the story:

This is my first time ever hatching anything, and so far all has gone GREAT! I work at an elementary school, and a little kindergartener gave me a fertile egg as my gift for the last day of school-- SO CUTE!!! She remembered I loved animals so that was her idea for my gift- a goose! haha! I was so excited! Anyway, she gave it to me 6/15/23, but I don't know the exact day the mother laid it (but I assume very close to that date based on its development).
Everything has gone smoothly- but these last couple days I'm very anxious for its wellbeing. I put it in lockdown on day 26. The movement was excellent and I could see the shape of his little head and feet near it's good sized air cell. However, since its been in lockdown, there's been no pipping or movement (although, the incubator he's in has little indented place-holders that). I finally got too nervous today, and took him out (quickly and warmly) to candle. Today is the NIGHT OF DAY 32- ALMOST DAY 33!!! I only see dark, with an "good" air cell (??"good" as far as I can tell by internet images), but barely any movement! However, I turned him slightly to the side of his incubator position, and saw movement like something was pressing up against the airsick- but just a little bump up, then flat, then tiny bump back up. But it was very subtle and calm and didn't last too long. (Is there a way to post short videos here?) The bump wasn't sharp like the point of a beak tho, but it was a bump! I'm basically 100% positive he has NOT internally pipped yet, and I don't hear or feel anything. In fact, the video I have from day 25 looks like he was REALLY trying to pip (beak straight up!).... but again- I KNOW NOTHING OF HATCHING! 🤣😵‍💫. I really feel like I may need to drill that safety hole -- but I know thats LAST resort! But I just want to know what's going on 😣🥺🤯! Can I even help an egg that hasn't internally pipped? I hope so!

I'm desperate, so if ANYONE has any advice please let me know asap because I'll be devastated if he's come this far and I ruin it! Thank you thank you!!! If I don't answer back immediately its because I have to run to get groceries, but I will check this as SOON as I am home! Below I'll post a photo of him to be 'what looks like' trying to internal pip on day 25. And the second one will be of the slight bump I saw calmly/slowly moving up and down today.
THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! I appreciate any help 💜❤️💜❤️

Day 25

Attachments

• 443DF953-BF6F-45CE-8A48-8AB260BCC3A7.jpeg
    443DF953-BF6F-45CE-8A48-8AB260BCC3A7.jpeg
    75.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 8B018D08-36C0-4CD5-8A5E-7F4B05FC72AB.jpeg
    8B018D08-36C0-4CD5-8A5E-7F4B05FC72AB.jpeg
    75 KB · Views: 7
Today (night of day 32)--- it was a little more apparent than that photo, this is a photo taken from my video

Attachments

• 3EF4E376-CA63-4582-BF88-947367F47E8A.jpeg
    3EF4E376-CA63-4582-BF88-947367F47E8A.jpeg
    100.9 KB · Views: 8
Do you know what kind of goose it was? Some goose take 35 days. I found it detrimental to lock down too early, so these days I usually wait until I see an external pip. in my experience there’s nothing you can do aside from waiting for an internal pip, if it doesn’t pip internally there is a high chance something went wrong during development. you can try to provide a safety hole a little earlier… but that’s about it.

Do you know what kind of goose it was? Some goose take 35 days. I found it detrimental to lock down too early, so these days I usually wait until I see an external pip. in my experience there’s nothing you can do aside from waiting for an internal pip, if it doesn’t pip internally there is a high chance something went wrong during development. you can try to provide a safety hole a little earlier… but that’s about it.
Hi! Thanks so much for replying! I have no idea what kind of goose unfortunately... The egg is about 3 inches long/2 inches wide though. Are they usually pretty active if they are trying to internally pip? Could he just not be ready to make the move yet? I know what you mean about lock downing too soon- I felt that way since day 26 because he just didn't seem big enough yet. But I didn't want to take any chances so I just followed the general protocol I found online. I just wonder how active he should be at this stage, and if maybe its normal/okay for him to be so slow in his movements. Thanks, im so clueless!

also, are you saying it COULD help to make an air hole--even if they haven't internally pipped yet?

also, are you saying it COULD help to make an air hole--even if they haven't internally pipped yet?
it could help in the way that if it does internally pip, it wont have to worry about air. Since it’s day 33, it won’t hurt. There a good stickie on the geese sub forum on how to do this.

Locking down too early has caused my eggs to be unable to externally pip or i get a lot of wrong end pips, likely due to not enough weightloss…? but I’m no expert, these were just my observations over many hatches.

I read that geese eggs are one of the harder ones to incubate.
My friend said her broody goose always seemed to let the eggs get cold on a daily basis, so I tried to mimic the same when I took on some of her abandoned geese eggs by shooing my broody off them until they cooled… felt counterintuitive but i managed to hatch 5/5 eggs 😬

Hi again, sorry I was at work all day. So is that what you would do? I noticed in your first response you said some take up to 35 days (which ive read too- some even say sometimes 37 before internal pip!). If it were you, would you put it a hole in it today (as its almost day 34 ) or would you wait till the 35th day? I know its so situational... don't worry, im in NO WAY RELYING on your answer! I'm just wondering what you'd advise since you have far more experience than me 😊. Have you ever put a hole before an internal pip?

it could help in the way that if it does internally pip, it wont have to worry about air. Since it’s day 33, it won’t hurt. There a good stickie on the geese sub forum on how to do this.

Locking down too early has caused my eggs to be unable to externally pip or i get a lot of wrong end pips, likely due to not enough weightloss…? but I’m no expert, these were just my observations over many hatches.

I read that geese eggs are one of the harder ones to incubate.
My friend said her broody goose always seemed to let the eggs get cold on a daily basis, so I tried to mimic the same when I took on some of her abandoned geese eggs by shooing my broody off them until they cooled… felt counterintuitive but i managed to hatch 5/5 eggs 😬
Hi again, sorry I was at work all day. So is that what you would do? I noticed in your first response you said some take up to 35 days (which ive read too- some even say sometimes 37 before internal pip!). If it were you, would you put it a hole in it today (as its almost day 34 ) or would you wait till the 35th day? I know its so situational... don't worry, im in NO WAY RELYING on your answer! I'm just wondering what you'd advise since you have far more experience than me 😊. Have you ever put a hole before an internal pip?

i have accidentally about 4 days early for a chicken’s egg before. It hatched just fine and likely didn’t need it. I miscounted the days and thought it was due…

Back
Top Bottom