Help needed. My Quail are dying.

Well, I am actually struggling to find Game Bird or Turkey Starter Feed. Maybe I just don't know where to look?
In the mean time I have made a concoction of Spirulina, Quinoa, Nutritional Yeast, Hard Boiled Egg, Apple Cider Vinegar and the vitamin and electrolyte powder that the guy that I bought the eggs from gave me. Those are all of things that where mentioned. The mixture is actually bubbling because of the reaction of the acidic and alkaline substances.
I really hope it works, they are gobbling it up and I think I remember someone said that if they gobble it up they are short of protein?

I have 8 left, there is one that looks a bit worn out and is struggling to stand, I definitely think it could be a protein deficiency. One of them died after drowning in a water dish with less than a centimeter of water in it, it was one of the strong ones
hit.gif

WarmFuzzyFeeliong, I also noticed that the ones hatching first where strong whereas the ones hatching later had neck problems and splayed legs
hu.gif

Buttercup, at the moment it is spring now and we are having temps of between 15 and 30. I live below Table Mountain.
Here are some pics of my surroundings and my chicks.
TableMountain.jpg

southafrica.gif

BabyQuail_1_1.jpg

I will try get more pics of my chicks soon.

I will keep you posted.
th.gif

Splayed legs is a cause of the quail slipping on the bedding and not having enough footing... usually human caused

I am thinking you got a weak genetic stock. They shouldn't be acting this way. The breeders must be lacking something in their diet as well.

I don't think it's a good idea to be mixing up the concoction of ingredients without knowing the specific amounts the birds need. You can overdose the birds with all the vitamins and minerals within the concoction. It is scaring me that you mention that it is is bubbling up.

Don't worry, I only put two teaspoons of the dry ingredients in with the food, so it was in a small amount and it was well mixed in.
thumbsup.gif

The only reason the vitamin/electrolyte powder and the vinegar (about two teaspoons) bubbled is because of the same reason vinegar and baking soda bubble and fizz. One is slightly acidic the other is alkaline.
I will be calling some more pet shops and animal stores tomorrow to check for the proper feed. They are not open on the weekend. As to the questions about his stock and the possibility of inbreeding, I am not sure. He has been having problems on his side with e-mail. He was also very disappointed with the hatch rate, and offered to look at my incubator for problems and ship some more eggs for free. He is one of the major suppliers of eggs and quail in South Africa.

Neb
fl.gif

Edit: As to the splayed legs, it could of been my fault, but I did use roller towel (quite good traction) and normal towel. It probably happened in the incubator as I was not to well setup inside the incubator in terms of surfaces. The ones that had splayed legs I taped up, it helped a couple, but the others where late hatchers and were just too weak.
hit.gif

Last edited:
Use the Vitamins in the water, alternately with the vinegar if you want to use vinegar.
What I do. Vitamin in morning - vinegar in afternoon - Vitamin in evening. I change out water 3 times a day.
Feed is fed by itself, dry.

The vinegar with the feed is going to make it ferment almost immediately. I don't know about these little birds, but chickens love fermented feed. Why I don't know.

Food. Your grind of feed looks to big - to coarse. Them is some big chunks for such little baby birds. Try grinding smaller in future, to almost a powder for at hatch. Or cook it and let it cool, add more water so is mush. But that is going to be one big mess.

Ah Hum : We do need a more recent picture of your babies, to judge their condition.
You should not tease us with a (single) picture at hatch.
In other words we are addicted to baby birds and we have (I have) never seen a Rain Quail. Well now I have at hatch.
We would appreciate a chance to oggle your birds.

May have to take a trip to Johannesburg to buy a 2 month feed supply. (You not me).

Yes, have him check your incubator out. Hatch lasted way to long if they are supposed to hatch at 18 days. I take it the breeder is not close to you? If he is, what is he feeding his birds? Get feed situation handled first, then more eggs to hatch and try again. Don't let this stop you, keep trying.

Put some marbles or even small rocks in the waterer to keep them from drowning. They will walk over the rocks and peck inbetween them to get the water. Papertowels by the waterer get wet but, oh well. After a 4-5 days, I raise my waterer on 1/2x1/2 inch wire shelf that is 1.5 inches tall and wet goes down instead of all over the tub. I'll take a picture of it, easy to make. My hatch gets the shelf added tomorrow. I'll charge up some batteries for the camera.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom