HELP Needed...My Rooster REPEATEDLY ATTACKED ME

Pics
find an alternnative to pointless killing,

A. Protecting people from an aggressive animal isn't "pointless".

B. Guilt-tripping people who aren't willing to have their chicken keeping turned into a time of anxiety and wariness instead of joy and peace is silly.

C. Keeping a known-aggressive animal that has drawn blood is a legal liability if it ever hurts someone else.

D. Polite, well-behaved roosters are killed every day because the owners either can't have roosters or have more than they need. Keeping an aggressive one instead of adopting a better one is truly pointless.

This thread has been full of interesting and informative point of views and I have truly appreciated every single one. I've got too many roosters right now and the temperaments vary. Some human aggressive, some that love the reassurance and affection from humans, and some that are right in the middle. My youngest two are 15 months old. While I can't add to the breeding aspect of human aggression being genetic, I can say that out of the roosters that I got in my first year of keeping chickens, half of them are human aggressive. The roosters that I added after that first year have all been amazing. For complete transparency, one of my youngest (15 months) is one that I keep an eye on. He feeds off of my mood and if I'm nervous, anxious, anything except for neutral, he tends to act up. He hasn't flogged but I suspect if I didn't know what to look for, he'd probably be labeled as aggressive. Knowing this about him, I can warn my daughter to stay back from him if I sense any uneasiness from her before we go out. He tends to feed off of my energy more but knowing how sensitive he is, I can easily adjust and keep things controllable, for now. If I could only figure out how to keep things like this with my aggressive little bantam hen, that'd be great, but time will tell 💕

Thanks again for these amazing insights! Such a wonderful start to the day.

Edited to add: @ericwaddle3 I loved the hilarious wording if your post. While I don't necessarily agree, that really made me laugh. Thank you so much for that 😁

Last edited:
I don't know why I get involved in threads such as these really. I guess I hope that even if the participants wont at least try to find an alternnative to pointless killing, perhaps a few who may read the thread but not comment might.
I appreciate your insights. I may not agree with every point, but I try to remain open to learning.
I don't have a problem with killing any creature that I'm going to eat, but killing because I'm scared of a creature, or because I can't control a creature, makes me feel rather stupid and inadequate.
I feel that way about wild animals where encounters are rare and commonly in the animal’s “backyard.” For domestic species, it’s a safety issue. I could turn the animal out to the wild to fend for itself, but I believe that’s condemning them to a cruel death as domestication leaves it more vulnerable, in many cases, to natural threats.
After all, according to my species at least, we are the pinical of eveloution but don't have the intelligence to find a solution to a problem that doesn't involve violence and death.
Death and violence played a big part in the development of our large brains and rise up the evolutionary ladder. I don’t see something so fundamental to our species changing in a world ruled, basically, by the Law of the Jungle.
I'll leave the rest of you to it.:)
Thanks for sharing in spite of your rotten day.

...alternnative to pointless killing...

I don't have a problem with killing any creature that I'm going to eat, but killing because I'm scared of a creature, or because I can't control a creature, makes me feel rather stupid and inadequate.

When I kill a chicken, I eat the chicken.
So I do not see it as pointless killing.

Many of the other people who talk about killing problem roosters are also people who eat the chickens they kill. And for all of us who are going to eat chicken, it is just common sense to start by eating the chickens whose temperament we like least.

My own preference is to hatch dozens or hundreds of chicks every year, and eat most of them. That many chicks will almost always include a few males that do not attack me when they grow up, so "selecting" for nice roosters is just a matter of which ones get killed, not a change in the number that do get killed & eaten.

I had a rooster my husband found him as a little baby chick who barely survived he had his egg shell attached to him when born and could barely walk so we called him “wobbles” he few strong and learned to walk normal and super healthy!! He got SUPER aggressive after a little under a year with all the hens especially when I went to fill up their feeders in the coop he TRIED to attack me while I was pregnant and after that it was freezer camp for him. I just now got a silkie rooster who’s about 6 months old and he’s a lot more chill but he’s only interested in his other silkie hen and I didn’t raise them as babies I got them a couple months ago so that’s what’s been working for me :idunno

I've had a bad day, but I will do my utmost to remain patient.
I have to ask you why anyone would breed non agressive roosters if not for profit and making them easier to turn into pets?
Roosters are supposed to be aggressive. It's having some aggression that means they will compete with other roosters and be able to guard their hens and their offspring. What breeding non aggressive roosters, or at least trying to does, is reduces the chances of the natural instincts going forward.
I've managed to negotiate with I don't know how many aggressive roosters. They're not stupid creatures. Mostly they are just tryinng to protect their hens or offspring. Why would anyone want to prevent any creature from doing this?

Even large roosters are unlikely to do you any lasting damage when they attack if you wear appropriate clothing and consider carefully if what you do is likely to ellict an aggressive response.

Breeding any creature for attributes that are mmeant to please humans but in the long term damage the species is just wrong. I don't know how to put it in another way.
Sorry about your bad day.

I find it very interesting that you champion aggressive roosters because they are just doing as nature intended, and yet you think it's fine and dandy to shoot a dog for preying on chickens.;)

That said, I tend to agree with you up to a point. In my experience almost all cockerels are naturally going to show some level of aggression, particularly when they are young and dumb. Personally I mostly deal with them by just not dealing with them. I have all my coops, runs, doors and gates set up in such a way that I can close off any roosters/ cockerels so that I don't have to be in the same space at the same time as them. I do what I need to do and let them do their own thing.

You have to keep in mind that your situation and outlook is somewhat unique. Most of the people here keep chickens as backyard pets, breeding projects and/or like myself raise them for food. They may not have the time, inclination or ability to deal with an aggressive animal on a daily basis. If you look at it from a different perspective, at least these people are trying to give cockerels the opportunity to have a good life, that's a whole heck of a lot better than being macerated at hatch.

He's not ever hurt anyone except me now!
I guess my stupidity of treating them as pets has caught me way off guard with this. He's always been so docile and happy to see me, carried around as we checked garden and everything together.
It's just a phase. It's the juvenile hormones. He will grow out of it.

Lots of changes going on here today with my rooster's fav hen going broody. He has always let me pick him up and he has done the flirty dance sideways and everything with me the past 2 months. He is almost 8 months old. He is the only rooster to 2 hens all same age and raised together since day old.
He didn't just get me once...he repeatedly attacked me, got blood in several spots and everything. He's a bantam silkie! Never once done anything to anyone. Worst he has ever done is charge the hardware cloth to try to get to my son-in-law that is building larger coop OUTSIDE THE run.
He wouldn't quit attacking me even after doing the "V" hold several times til he relaxes. I fed him some corn like I always do then he just ran up as I was sitting down and luckily just got my arm not my face.
Please help! What on earth has happened to this dude?!!!
👀Oooooh someone's becoming a teenager...ya know with the hormones and the mood swings :lau
I suggest making him sit on the ground then pushing his beak down into the ground (gently please!) for about 30 seconds or so. (And also preferably around his ladies...he'lll be soo humiliated;))

Thank yall for all the feedback...I have gained much information from it all and have been workin with him each day. I used my cane just as a boundary buy only had to actually keep him at bay once in a week!
And my son-in-law worked on coop yesterday too which always stresses him out.
So he's been doing 99% better!!! He's so good with the pullets and haven't had anyone interested in him til this morning. So I'm gonna give him another chance and just keep working with him and not let grandkids in the run unless he is penned up.

Back
Top Bottom