HELP needed. Second duckling hatched. Very weak and is being picked on by the first one!

AmyA248

Songster
Jun 20, 2022
Good morning all. šŸ˜Š

So my second Muscovy egg hatched a very weak chick. I kept her in the incubator overnight because I didnā€™t think sheā€™d make it. She did but sheā€™s very weak and has trouble putting her head down.

My first one is VERY active and vivacious and when I put the new baby in the brooder my 6 day old is immediately pecking at the poor baby.
I donā€™t know what to do. Should I separate them???
Iā€™m so worried about our new one, sheā€™s so tired and fragile.

Sorry about the pictures, they were taken in the brooder.

I need some advice..

Blessings,
Amy

Attachments

• C5A6916B-A1E2-4A61-A1A9-1E6651570B61.jpeg
    C5A6916B-A1E2-4A61-A1A9-1E6651570B61.jpeg
    326.9 KB · Views: 19
  • ADB620F0-AB61-4718-97D0-7072A56CD736.jpeg
    ADB620F0-AB61-4718-97D0-7072A56CD736.jpeg
    476.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 8DABF21B-150B-4E22-8BDB-DECF4656FE53.jpeg
    8DABF21B-150B-4E22-8BDB-DECF4656FE53.jpeg
    448.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 63E80AE3-6A4E-4312-A500-3C3CD51F4E7B.jpeg
    63E80AE3-6A4E-4312-A500-3C3CD51F4E7B.jpeg
    419.3 KB · Views: 4
But somebody with more experience might be able to help more. Iā€™ve never had ducks myself but thatā€™s just what Iā€™d do.

I personally would separate them until she gets stronger. Give it a day or two. You could also give her poultry Nutridrench to hopefully help get her strength up
I personally would separate them until she gets stronger. Give it a day or two. You could also give her poultry Nutridrench to hopefully help get her strength up.
Thank you for your reply.
Thank you for your reply šŸ’•

I have ā€œSave a Chickā€ electrolytes Iā€™m trying to give her.
I donā€™t understand how a baby duckling could be aggressive. I thought they all cuddle together, at least thatā€™s my experience.
This hatching is so nerve wracking. Some say they do best together and others say to separate.
Iā€™m a newbie as everyone knows..

Losing a baby still devastates me and Iā€™m very worried about this one.
We already lost the first one who had her organs growing on the outside of her body, the second needed assistance but is doing super, now the third is so weak she can barely walk yet, she just scoots a bit.

Blessings,
Amy

Thank you for your reply šŸ’•

I have ā€œSave a Chickā€ electrolytes Iā€™m trying to give her.
I donā€™t understand how a baby duckling could be aggressive. I thought they all cuddle together, at least thatā€™s my experience.
This hatching is so nerve wracking. Some say they do best together and others say to separate.
Iā€™m a newbie as everyone knows..

Losing a baby still devastates me and Iā€™m very worried about this one.
We already lost the first one who had her organs growing on the outside of her body, the second needed assistance but is doing super, now the third is so weak she can barely walk yet, she just scoots a bit.

Blessings,
Amy
I wouldnā€™t worry too much yet. New babies are usually always a bit weak until they find their feet and strength hah I do think theyā€™d do better with a friend so together BUT I wouldnā€™t put them together yet. Iā€™d give her time to get her strength up first. The save a chick should help.

Use the save a chick, and give her some water sweetened with honey. Also, make sure the brooder isnā€™t drying her up more.
I thought I would save a chick if I left it in the brooder, but it got dehydrated.
I would have waited for the next duckling to hatch and put it with her, then a couple of days later, maybe transfer them all together.
Good luck

With chicken chicks, giving some egg yolk can help? Any duck people want to chime in if thatā€™s a good idea?

Maybe put the new chick where they can see and hear each other but not touch? A hardware cloth divider would be ideal for that, but a cardboard would work at that age Iā€™d think. Just means they canā€™t see. And obviously make sure each side has food and water.

Back
Top Bottom