HELP NEEDED SEXING PEKIN BANTAMS @ 8 weeks old!

Hey Everyone, thanks for replying. I’ve contacted the breeder and she has been very sweet and offered us 3 chochin x Pekins who are alittle older. But I’ve raised these three from hatching and this breeder kills her cockerels I honestly don’t know what to do. I’m so upset.

You could try to rehome them yourself at £5 a piece, but I think I’d let the three boys back to the breeder and have a few words with her, Pekins mature very quickly but they’d have to be vent sexed, which she’s messed up or not even bothered to do. Do you only have this one pullet? Pekin cockerels need 5-6 hens each, you could keep one cockerel and buy more Pekins elsewhere, keep those three cockerels in a coop and run of their own away from the pullet (she’ll still need more pullet friends), give them away, or exchange them for pullets.

I believe your splashie looking one is a pullet. The rest are cockerels.
Did you say she kills her cockerels? Do you know if she kills them as chicks? If she does, she probably ends up killing all her pullets, by the looks of it! Hopefully she will refund you, as well as taking back the birds. I personally would not buy from her again. Find a different breeder.

Hey Everyone, thanks for replying. I’ve contacted the breeder and she has been very sweet and offered us 3 chochin x Pekins who are alittle older. But I’ve raised these three from hatching and this breeder kills her cockerels I honestly don’t know what to do. I’m so upset.
You could always try and rehome them yourself. That way you can be selective as who you give/sell them to. I just give mine away and I am not hesitant to turn people away. Just a thought...

I have been breeding pekins off and on for years and Im able to sex my pekins from about 3 weeks on in your boys you will see that their combs start growing in leaps and bounds ahead of the girls. Once and a while you will get 1 or 2 wrong as there can be pullets with larger combs but this isn't common. the more you watch your boys grow the better you will become at sexing them but for me like I said I always look at the comb and this has always been right up until this point. Also as for cockerels living together I have found that when they are hatched together in the incubator or by a hen together they generally are fine with each other as adults they naturally work out their pecking order and have little disagreements with a few feathers flying around the place but that's the worst of it then they settle down and are fine. Ideally however I like just 1 rooster per flock so long as its a small flock. or for fertility reasons you may need another boy to improve fertility over all in the flock

My lavender
IMG_20200426_125448.jpg
pekin is 8 weeks old, what's your thoughts on sex?!

Back
Top Bottom