Help needed with a weak duckling

Ducktown

Songster
May 8, 2017
On day 31. indian runner egg hatched, this time, the duckling was very weak. The first duckling was attacking him (her), so I placed her into separate box.

I noticed that she's loosing a bit of blood on a paper towel I placed her into. Not much, just a tiny amount. When I picked her up, I saw Where it came from. It's most likely not completely absorbed yolk. It looks kind of dry, sorry for bad photo.
The 'thing' (is it vent?) looks kind of dry. I hope she recovers!:fl
img_20170520_233231-jpg.554060

PS: I added a post as new thread to find some help. Do any of you know if it has chances to survive? At the moment it's breathing fast and sleeps, when I come close and speak to it, it wakes up and stands up for a few seconds, before it drops down again and rests. I could not make it drink sugared water so far. I did place some into the box where it rests and some starter crumbs.

I will try with vaseline. In the morning, it looks the same. Still doesn't do much beside sleeping. I hope it starts drinking water soon. Thank you! I'll let you all know how it goes.

PS: I used Bepanthen.

Last edited:
I had one like that after hatching it was also bleeding so I dipped its umbilical in corn starch and then left it...It dried up and healed..I did not try to keep it moist with creams...It dried up and the scab fell off...
I just kept them all on clean puppy pads till that one was healed....:frow

I had one like that after hatching it was also bleeding so I dipped its umbilical in corn starch and then left it...It dried up and healed..I did not try to keep it moist with creams...It dried up and the scab fell off...
I just kept them all on clean puppy pads till that one was healed....:frow

When did your duckling start eating and drinking? I'm worried it would become dehydrated before it heals enough to start eating. I know it still has yolk for a while, but it's really weak.

Also put it back with the other Duckling....They were not attacking it..They noodle each other for comfort and how they get to bond....That Duckling might be very lonely and why it just sleeps.....The others will get it up and eating and drinking.....

Back
Top Bottom