Help needed with Khaki Campbell / possible Cayuga gender (5 weeks)

georgiegoose

In the Brooder
Jun 22, 2022
Hello!

We are new to incubating eggs and recently hatched our first duckling which is now 5 weeks old. We have a young Khaki Campbell (?) duck that has been a bit tricky to sex, I was wondering if anyone can help us or if it is too early to say with any confidence.

Edit: We were sold these hatching eggs as Khaki Campbells but it is quite likely to be a Cayuga or crossbreed. The egg was a consistent light blue-green colour, one of the eggs was white but that one wasn't successful. Would love to know what people think on this.

Our duck is mostly very dark in colour, with a lighter neck, brown head and black bill. There are signs that the legs are starting to turn orange but no signs of colour change in the bill so far. As our duck has started to develop its first waterproof feathering, we have noticed that there are iridescent blue-green and purple feathers starting to come through in a few areas, with some green starting to appear on the head. Other areas are the tail and wings.

We originally thought that our duck was a hen but are now questioning due to the green colouring on the head! we read that the green head doesn't typically show until they are at least 8 weeks, so we are unsure if this is anything to go by.

As for noise, we are a little unsure what to listen out for - our little fella has started making different sounds, although it is hard for us to decide if these are raspy yet. It is quite vocal (more so than our ladies!) and doesn't sound too different in comparison to our cherry valley hens.

I've included some photos below of the little guy in question -

20220622_163539.jpg

20220622_180245.jpg
Screenshot 2022-06-22 at 17.52.59.png
Screenshot 2022-06-22 at 17.53.09.png
Screenshot 2022-06-22 at 17.54.49.png

Any advice or help with this would be greatly appreciated. We are likely going to have to wait until it's older for a full gender confirmation but our curiosity is getting the better of us and would love to know what more experienced duck owners think. :)

Last edited:
This baby does not look like a Khaki Campbell. Where did the eggs come from? Maybe Cayuga?
It's interesting that you say that as I had this thought too!

We bought hatching eggs from someone online who only has these ducks and were told they were Khaki Campbells from a breeder. The people we ordered from don't keep Cayugas themselves but it made me wonder if maybe there is some kind of crossbreed within the flock. I would honestly love to know what breed this little fella actually is!

I did see other people review the seller and say their duck didn't look like a Khaki Campbell, so it's likely the case that the flock wasn't pure breed or even Khaki Campbells at all.

I've included a photo of the duckling when it was 1 week old, definitely looks a lot like a Cayuga duckling even from this age.

Attachments

• 20220524_180210.jpg
    20220524_180210.jpg
    912.3 KB · Views: 15

We bought hatching eggs from someone online who only has these ducks and were told they were Khaki Campbells from a breeder. The people we ordered from don't keep Cayugas themselves but it made me wonder if maybe there is some kind of crossbreed within the flock. I would honestly love to know what breed this little fella actually is!

I did see other people review the seller and say their duck didn't look like a Khaki Campbell, so it's likely the case that the flock wasn't pure breed or even Khaki Campbells at all.

I've included a photo of the duckling when it was 1 week old, definitely looks a lot like a Cayuga duckling even from this age.
It does. Definitely not a khaki.

I had cayuga ducklings and they were solid black. Not like that duckling at all. Your duckling is a cutie pie!!

I'd want to say Cayuga since mine looked similar as babies but I fine the color of the eggs interesting my Cayuga lays black to light grey eggs depending on where she is on the laying season.

I'd want to say Cayuga since mine looked similar as babies but I fine the color of the eggs interesting my Cayuga lays black to light grey eggs depending on where she is on the laying season.
Interesting! the egg this lil fella hatched out of was actually blue/green in colour - at nearly 8 weeks we can definitely see the Cayuga traits but we are still not entirely sure if there is some Khaki mixed in too. Some of the feathering is appearing more brown than black, which is especially noticeable on sunny days! the iridescent feathering is so pretty but sadly photos don't do it justice 😄

Attachments

• 20220713_151537.jpg
    20220713_151537.jpg
    518.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 20220713_154240.jpg
    20220713_154240.jpg
    913.2 KB · Views: 11
Interesting! the egg this lil fella hatched out of was actually blue/green in colour - at nearly 8 weeks we can definitely see the Cayuga traits but we are still not entirely sure if there is some Khaki mixed in too. Some of the feathering is appearing more brown than black, which is especially noticeable on sunny days! the iridescent feathering is so pretty but sadly photos don't do it justice 😄
Definitely looks mixed. This is my male and female Cayuga so I def see the Cayuga in those pictures.

Attachments

• PXL_20220623_002008478.jpg
    PXL_20220623_002008478.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 11
  • 20211218_161920.jpg
    20211218_161920.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 11
That second picture looks a lot like my two Rouen boys when they were about 8-10 weeks! Just slightly darker plummage. They are both beautiful drakes now.
I would definitely guess Rouen/Cayuga mix. Beautiful bird! ❤️

Back
Top Bottom