HELP NEEDED

savvychickz

Songster
Jan 25, 2019
Another one of my chickens has come up with something and it might be respiratory but it’s also really strange, i’ve dealt with respiratory issues in the past but she’s just really bad... it might even be something else. Her name is Gertrude and she’s around 1 year old with a flock of 30 others, none of them are showing similar symptoms and are acting normal. This started happening yesterday morning and it’s like a literal women screaming. She won’t eat nor drink because of constantly gasping for breath. Any thoughts?? Treating with tylan currently. Wasn’t sure on how to insert a video but i’m desperate so i just posted a youtube video.

Can you pick her up and sit down with her somewhere and put your ear up to her head and listen to her breathing carefully?

I do not recognize the breed so the screaming doesn't indicate anything to me. But if you hear gurgling, or see mucous that indicates more. Just look closely at her nasal holes too for blockages. If there is mucous report that and someone can diagnose if tilosan is the best or not.

Can you pick her up and sit down with her somewhere and put your ear up to her head and listen to her breathing carefully?

I do not recognize the breed so the screaming doesn't indicate anything to me. But if you hear gurgling, or see mucous that indicates more. Just look closely at her nasal holes too for blockages. If there is mucous report that and someone can diagnose if tilosan is the best or not.
She’s constantly gasping and it’s very rattly throughout which seems to be her chest. Her mouth never closes whatsoever, the screaming happens every couple minutes and it’s ear wrenching. I took another video of her perched where you can hear the rattle. https://youtube.com/shorts/5Nnr8d2zH4U?feature=share

Can you clarify, your post says another one of your chickens has come up sick. But then you said none of your other chickens are sick. What happened to the other ones? That will help to know if there was another one.

20210512_194207.jpg

So I think if the "choanal slit" on the roof of her mouth gets blocked with mucous, she will breath through her mouth. Likewise if her nasal openings are blocked with dirt or crusted mucous she will breath through her mouth.

But if you hear the rattling in her breast, then she is getting sick and it could be partially blocked internally.

The screaming can be an indicator of illness but it doesn't indicate the type of illness. Otherwise if you can, open her mouth and examine the roof for mucous, I sometimes take a stick or rag and clean the mucous from their mouth. But that isn't the root cause. I will be rooting for her. And other people will have better treatment advice, I'm just trying to help diagnosis. Tylan sounds right but it could also be parasitic, like worms.

Another thing to check is maybe something she ingested is causing an internal blocking, as unlikely as that is.

Check is her crop full at night, and empty in the morning. And check do her dropping look normal in the morning.

In the morning give her some immune boosting natural remedy stuff too, like apple cider vinega.

Last edited:
Can you clarify, your post says another one of your chickens has come up sick. But then you said none of your other chickens are sick. What happened to the other ones? That will help to know if there was another one.

View attachment 2666181

So I think if the "choanal slit" on the roof of her mouth gets blocked with mucous, she will breath through her mouth. Likewise if her nasal openings are blocked with dirt or crusted mucous she will breath through her mouth.

But if you hear the rattling in her breast, then she is getting sick and it could be partially blocked internally.

The screaming can be an indicator of illness but it doesn't indicate the type of illness. Otherwise if you can, open her mouth and examine the roof for mucous, I sometimes take a stick or rag and clean the mucous from their mouth. But that isn't the root cause. I will be rooting for her. And other people will have better treatment advice, I'm just trying to help diagnosis. Tylan sounds right but it could also be parasitic, like worms.
The 2 month old golden laced I posted earlier isnt with my 30 standard chickens yet, they are seperated in different coops and roam different areas, they have never met eachother nor come in contact. Blockage seems to make the most sense, no mucous is present anywhere.. I looked up gape worm videos earlier on youtube and found a video of a orpington with the same sounds and screaming.. wondering if it’s parasitic like you said. I appreciate the help with trying to find the diagnosis!!

Another thing to check is maybe something she ingested is causing an internal blocking, as unlikely as that is.

Check is her crop full at night, and empty in the morning. And check do her dropping look normal in the morning.

In the morning give her some immune boosting natural remedy stuff too, like apple cider vinega.
Her crop has been empty since her not being able to eat with the constant gasping, I’ve even tried to give her peanuts which she loves and egg yolk for protein. I did give her some water in a dropper earlier just in case she hasn’t been drinking and staying hydrated.

Could be a partial airway obstruction. If it persists, in the morning, I would see if you can bring her for an xray to help in the diagnosis.

Good luck, I hope she is ok!

First, she is absolutely beautiful! Second. I just went through this. My hen had the exact same symptoms. No other symptoms of respiratory distress other than the gaping and gasping for air. No mucus, no runny nose, no nothing. The screaming is most likely an expellitory response (an aggressive cough to clear airways or blockages.) Which my hen would do too. Especially while eating or drinking. My hen wouldn't do so either. I had to force her to eat and drink. Shes completely back to normal aside from a random cough here and there. You can check out my post and see if you think its the same and see how i treated it.

Back
Top Bottom