Help needed

Cooper68

Chirping
Sep 26, 2021
I’ve offered my chickens cucumbers and most recently cantaloupe but they avoid it like the plague. Is this normal behavior? Is there a trick to introducing fruits and vegetables?

When I give my chickens something new I make sure it's small like bite size for chickens and hand feed them a small amount. Later I bring the rest of the new item to them, they usually nibble at it throughout the day.

But they definitely have there own favorites.
The first time with melons I showed them how to pick it out with my fingers and gave them the small piece I picked out. After that they just pecked at it and ate it on there own. I give them cantaloupe, watermelon, and honey dew in the summer only.

I don't feed people food to chickens, but I do give them overmature cucumbers, melon guts and rinds, etc.

They were suspicious at first, but after the boldest one pecked it a bit and discovered it was good they all dove in. They don't really eat hard veggies much though.

Toss it into the run and let them figure it out. If they don't eat it then it will either attract bugs that they will eat (this is my solution for pithy sweetpotatoes at the end of the winter storage), or it will become one with the bedding and eventually compost accordingly. :)

It's not critical that chickens eat vegetables. Their balanced commercial feed is adequate.

I have to offer new things shredded. I throw cabbage leaves in no one would eat it. I shredded the head and everyone wanted it. Mine like small easy to eat pieces. At first I had to cut watermelon up for them to try. Now if I cut a whole melon in half they will stand on each other to tear off a piece. Fun to watch.

Back
Top Bottom