HELP!!!!neighbors dog is killing my flock....

Smokehouse13

Songster
10 Years
Mar 27, 2009
Vevay,Indiana
My daughters and I own a small flock of Silkie's, Cochin's , and D uccle's. The neighbors dogs have slowly been killing off the flock. We have lost 9 birds that I can definetly say were the dogs. I have talked to the owners of the property, because they rent it to the dog owners. They have spoken to her. I have been advised to not go over there she has issues...
I have called animal control, once already. Now for the second time I have called they say they are coming out. I've got pictures of these dogs trying to get in the chicken tractors. Also the damage they have made to the tractors/ cages.
I just witnessed them carrying off one hen. The problem is that by the time I get out the door with my gun, They are clearly off my property.
I have been advised to call the county attorney and file a suit. I guess I need to know has anybody had to do this or does anybody have any ideas?

Ugh .. I'm so sorry ..
hugs.gif

It's hard enough to lose chickens, but to have to deal with neighbors .. people that you are going to have to live with .. is like pouring salt in the wound. I think you know what you need to do ..

If you get the shot, take it.
Keep calling animal control.
Report it everywhere you can ..

File a claim ..

Owner will (hopefully) decide it's not worth all the trouble and either keep the dog up .. or get rid of it ..

.... people .....
roll.png

I would call the sheriff's department and explain the situation and advise them of your calls to the animal control with no results . Also I would let them know of your intent to shoot the dogs if they are on your property. Your so-called neighbor should be made to pay for not only the chickens but damage to your chicken coops too. So sorry you are having to deal with this, also a shame for the lax attitude of the officials that live off our tax dollars!

Shoot to kill because they are hunting to kill! And you need to protect your birds!
Keep the gun closer?
And when you do kill it leave the carcass lay so they can see it was in your yard! File suit get what you got coming back!
Take all the good advice on here!

poison... tastes like chicken.... paw licking good...
smile.png
A good bowl of antifreeze should do it... Since your chickens are in tractors.. they shouldn't be harmed.... Just a thought... Or poisoned meat... or poison intended for RAts... Read up on statutes before you do this... Make sure it is legal to poison rodents... or leave out antifreeze... (that can be dangerous for other animals so placement is key. Salmon poisoning won't kill your chickens.
smile.png
Just a thought. Or keep the gun in your hand.

geebs poison is not the answer. It will kill everything that drinks it, not just the dogs.

Get as many pictures as you can. document everything. get a copy of the reports you made to the animal control.
Send this person a certified letter along with a bill.
Make a paper trail.
Send at least 3 letters. Give them some time to respond. Keep any contact they make with you.
I would send on letter today, another next wednesday and again on Friday.

No response go in and get the filing paper you need to take them to small claims.

Kill the dogs at first chance too.

Quote:
SHE has issues? Uhm, YOU have issues, too! What, is she a relative of theirs? Sheesh. I'd take a very reasonable approach before I shot or poisoned any dog. It's not the dog's fault, it's the owner letting it run loose.

Given the situation, get some folks to go over with you. They can just quietly stand there as witnesses. Calmly tell her that this is the bill for chickens killed so far and that you will shoot the dog next time it runs on your property. And that the proper officials have been alerted. Tell her you have pictures as evidence, maybe even show her a copy. Then wait and watch her reactions. If she's anything but apologetic, follow it up with a certified letter.

Keep your chickens out of harm's way for a while, but don't let up on her. Be prepared to dial it up a notch at any time. If you can, take pics from your yard of her "restraint" system or lack thereof. Document everything. Every conversation with anyone regarding her obvious unsuitability as a dog owner and neighbor.

Good fortune, I have dealt with this and had to finally call 4 times to AC. They got tired of my calm persistence and finally got the strays rounded up.

Back
Top Bottom