Help! New baby duck had heat lamp fall on it!:(

I just went to clean out their box one last time before bed when I picked him up he threw up a lot of hot mucus. He is warm and dry and his eye will look like it’s getting better but then I’ll check again and it’s still closed. Our house is warm do you guys think I could turn the heat lamp off for the night? I don’t want it to fall of break anything. If there bills are red does that mean they are hot?

They look like they’re only a few days old—they need a spot under the heat lamp that’s around 90 degrees, with space to get away from the heat lamp if they get too hot. If you don’t have a thermometer, you’ll be able to gauge the temp by watching whether they’re huddling under the heat lamp (too cold) or panting and trying to get away from it (too hot). I think they’re too young to be outside for long periods of time just yet.

Yes, you can take the lamp away if the room they're in is 90 degrees and won't get colder than that . If not, they need a lamp. They also need space to get away from the lamp when they get too warm. The brooder needs to be large enough that the cool side is 10 degrees less than the warm side

They are still pointing their heads up and swallowing a lot. Not just the one with the bad eye but it’s sibling too. And he’s the bad eye one is making a weird sound. So you guys just say to wait? And they’ll be okay?

This thread suggests that the mucus isn’t too concerning. There are a few other similar threads, and all of those ducklings seemed to have turned out fine. As for the red beaks—this may be a silly question, but are you sure that’s not just the red light from the heat lamp reflecting?

The other symptoms sound slightly more concerning, but again, I think you’re at a point where you should just provide them with a clean, dry brooder with plenty of space, heat, clean water, and food, and keep an eye of them. There are lots of articles about setting up good brooders—that tiny box isn’t going to cut it.

Back
Top Bottom