HELP NEW BORN CHICK NOT ACTING RIGHT...

narragansett1

Songster
5 Years
Nov 22, 2014
fl
I have a chick that's 2 day's old, she's not up act'n like the other 3 that hatched with her. All she's want'n to do is sleep. She doesn't open'n her eyes much at all, she only lay's there breath'n heavy & she peep's & flop's around alil & then goes right back to sleep. We also have to feed her & give her water. Does anyone out there have any ideal what might be wrong with her or what i could do to help her???

I'm having the same problem, and at a loss. I put a similar post on here a couple hours ago and haven't gotten any help yet.

yeah it sure sucks to not be able to help them mine just layes there with its eyes closed and and is breathing hard it will flop around every so often i have 3 other chicks in the batch and all of them are doing so good sure wish i new what i could do for the lil guy....

yeah it sure sucks to not be able to help them mine just layes there with its eyes closed and and is breathing hard it will flop around every so often i have 3 other chicks in the batch and all of them are doing so good sure wish i new what i could do for the lil guy.... 

This sounds exactly the same as my situation. The only thing I can think of is that I moved them from the small box brooder to a dog kennel that I converted into a chick brooder. I've never had any problems before with this brooder, but when I checked the temp, is was a little cooler than what should be. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this was the issue and that I'll have no more losses, guess we'll see

Last edited:
one of my 4 chicks i took out of the incubator and put it in the brooder my brooder at the time was a baby's play pen so i put the chick under the light and left it well i came back like 4 hours later to find that the chick had made it to the cold side of the brooder and was on its back lifeless i thought it was dead i picked it up and Sal just a small twitch so i put it back in the incubator well 3 hours later it came too and seamed fine I'm just not sure if this is the same chick or not....

That sounds like a coincidence too...I had one that somehow managed to get itself completely soaked in the water dish in the middle of the night. I dried it off and it dried and fluffed up under the lamp and they all seemed fine,(there are 15) maybe this is the same one in my case as well

:( sadly yes. Another one started doing the same behavior as well. I chose to cull it this morning since it was unable to stand before I left for work. The other 13 seem to be just fine and dandy though. Fingers crossed...how did you make out?

mine is still alive he just layes there with his eyes closed he will move around every so often i would like to no what caused this its been 2 days but the others are doing good so im happy for that...

Some chicks just fail to thrive, no matter what you do. I imagine there is some internal deficiency, but I consider it a part of hatching chicks - some die before lockdown, some never pip, some pip and then die, and some are just strong enough to get out, but not to survive. It's sad, but there is nothing to do, and good management means we should not support weak chicks too much, the stronger ones are what we want for the next generation anyway.

Back
Top Bottom