Help new chick šŸ£

carebear66

In the Brooder
Apr 2, 2024
IMG_0663.jpeg
IMG_0655.jpeg
I assisted (for good reasons) with this baby and have kept her separated from the growing flock. Please look at her bottom. She is otherwise beginning to thrive though itā€™s very slow progress.

Get a little bowl with warm water about the same temperature as the chick, maybe a little bit warmer. The bowl should be big enough you can put your hand hold the chick into it. Not super deep. You can use a little bit of dish soap if you want.

Soak it's back end in the bowl and gently rub it's butt until that comes off. A cloth might help. It is the goop that's left over inside the egg that has dried on and it needs to be removed so it can poop.

Edited to add: if it's not fluffed up after being dry that's normal too for chicks that needed assistance, it's the same goop keeping their fluff stiff. You can try to wash it off the same way, but it's actually easier to leave it and let the other chicks help with the grooming. They'll nibble on the crusty fluff and help break it up. It'll be fluffy like the others ina couple days. The vent has to get cleared by you though.

This is day two that I pictured. I didnā€™t finish my original post. She is making much slower progress than the others so I am concerned. Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated. I cleaned the incubator and returned her to it. The brooder seemed a little too much for her yet with the pine shavings. She was self regulating but I feel she might rest easier in the incubator. Settings are 99 degrees and 55-65 humidity.

Get a little bowl with warm water about the same temperature as the chick, maybe a little bit warmer. The bowl should be big enough you can put your hand hold the chick into it. Not super deep. You can use a little bit of dish soap if you want.

Soak it's back end in the bowl and gently rub it's butt until that comes off. A cloth might help. It is the goop that's left over inside the egg that has dried on and it needs to be removed so it can poop.

Edited to add: if it's not fluffed up after being dry that's normal too for chicks that needed assistance, it's the same goop keeping their fluff stiff. You can try to wash it off the same way, but it's actually easier to leave it and let the other chicks help with the grooming. They'll nibble on the crusty fluff and help break it up. It'll be fluffy like the others ina couple days. The vent has to get cleared by you though.
Thank you! You probably saved a life today. Her bottom is clean. Iā€™m going to get her warmed and dried in the incubator a little longer and then introduce her to the others :))

Attachments

• IMG_0666.jpeg
    IMG_0666.jpeg
    338.8 KB · Views: 10
Sorry to hear about your chick. Iā€™m very new and know nothing about incubation methods. I had a chick with the same thing at 4/5 days old. I did the above advice 4-5 times a day for week, then once a day for another week (she was very bad) I also massaged the bum and abdomen while in the water and dabbed coconut oil on it after she was dry to aid in poop from sticking. She was back to normal after that and now thriving at 5 weeks. I hope yours is ok. So cute.

Theyā€™re not happy with her sqwauking constantly. Not sure about this. She is warm and fed and watered (droppers) She stands on her own but is not eating or drinking because of the wobbles.

Back
Top Bottom