HELP! New chick has this...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Newtochicks528, Oct 19, 2013.

1. Newtochicks528

Newtochicks528 New Egg

Oct 19, 2013
    So we got our first chickens today and when I got home I realized that one of them has what looks like a protruding butt hole. It puckers in and out a lot and he has poop all around it. What do I do? What is this?

2. sepaditty1

sepaditty1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South Carolina
    I just had a chick with that. I kept the area clean and even wiped preparation H on the area in the hopes that it would stop the protrusion. It didn't. If all yours has is the pasty butt, add apple cider vinegar to the water and maybe add some grit or sand or dirt to the food.

My little Cinnamon went from there to worse. She wasn't growing at all, got very lethargic, and held her wings down instead of tucked up on the side. The great people here suggested that it was coccidiosis. For Cinnamon, it was too late. But I'm treating the others, just in case.

Please, if anyone else has more to add about the protruding, let us both know. I think that was what started Cinnamon's problems in the first place.

3. fluffychicken24

fluffychicken24 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2013
    The Shire
    Our silkies had something similar to this. We had to clean the area around their vents with a wet cue tip once or twice daily and make sure they weren't sealed. As far as I remember, that's all we did and they got better, but sepaditty's advice is probably much better than mine. Just make sure to keep their vents and the surrounding area clean and try what was suggested above. I hope they get better!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by