HELP! New chick not responding

Scatterknit

Songster
6 Years
Feb 20, 2013
Georgia
Hi I just received a delivery from Meyer's - 8 chicks - they all seem very healthy and happy but one is just standing around, looking up, and acting like he's a little dazed. I've dipped his beak in the water, no interest. Same ting for the geo gel. All the other chicks are running back and forth between the water, geo gel and chick starter. This one seems a little solitary and out of it. Shivering a little but I have a light on them. Maybe not great balance. Any thoughts?

I had one in my hatch that was acting similarly.. i separated him, just in case he was actually sick.. gave him a stuffed chick to cuddle, food, and water with honey.. but made sure he could still hear the others.. after he settled into the new box, an hour or so, i worked with him repeatedly- dipping his beak in the water.. once he got the hang of it he drank like a desert bird.. then i made some food- scrambled eggs with a touch of whole milk, a drop of vitasol, and some chick starter.. after a few hours of resting after drinking all that water, i worked with him on his food.. within 24 hours i was able to put him back with the others and hes GREAT... i just think some of them have a harder time starting to eat and drink than the others do.. plus theyre running low on energy from the yolk.. so if you can baby it for a day or so, you should have a happy healthy chick.. assuming the cause isn't something else. Hope this works for you!!

Sorry forgot the how to.....just put it in a syringe without the needle of course and force feed the chick. Give it a little every few hours that you can and it will pep up a chick usually within a day or two.

Back
Top Bottom