1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP! New chickens are making old chickens sick!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KKsilver1977, Aug 1, 2013.

1. KKsilver1977

KKsilver1977 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2013
    New Hampshire
    I have 9 healthy, young hens/roosters and they've lived happily for almost a year together. I wanted to add more and got 12 silkies....2 died the first couple days and the rest looked very sick. Stupidly I put them directly in with my flock right away and now everyone is getting sick! Some are worse then others but symptoms are lethargy, most have one or both eyes closed...the eyes and nose have discharge which is all crusty....sneezing...some pant like its hard to breathe. I brought the new chickens home on Friday and started them on duramycin and Corix on Saturday....I have 4 water containers and ALL are treated with this mix...for the ones that I notice aren't drinking enough I assist by squirting a syringe in their mouth. Nobody seems to be getting worse but not really better either and the worse part is my favorite, healthy, young ones are now starting to show symptoms. It's been 5 days so maybe someone can suggest a different route. I'm not experienced with raising chickens and am still learning so please be clear with your instructions... :(

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    It definitely sounds like a respiratory disease. If Duramycin isn't working, get Tylan50 or Tylan200. These two antibiotics are administered by injecting them into the breast muscle. If using Tylan50, which is a little bit safer for chickens, the dosage is 1cc for large fowl chickens, .5ccs for bantams or young chickens. Tylan200 is stronger and works quicker. Its dosage is .5ccs for large fowl and .2-.3ccs for bantams or young chickens.

Hopes this helps!

3. KKsilver1977

KKsilver1977 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Does the tylan come with the syringe? Can I reuse syringes? Also how often and for how long do I give it to them?

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    You can purchase a syringe w/ needle at a feed store and you can reuse it a couple of times. However, the needle will get dull and I recommend that you purchase quite a few for your task at hand. Here's a link for you to read:
    http://ultimatefowl.com/wiki/index.php?title=Tylan
    Another option is to cull your sick birds, disinfect everything, wait several months before getting new birds. Always practice biosecurity.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by