HELP! New chickens dying off one by one

I think it sounds like they have an infection that may be overwhelming them and killing them. I would be treating them all with Tylan or some antibiotic before it takes them all.

If you got these chicks at 6 weeks and have had them for four months and they only started showing symptoms after introducing them to your flock it is possible that you existing flock is positive for the disease and passing it on to your new flock.

Often adult birds can be carriers and not show symptoms. You may want to consider getting blood samples of your existing flock and sending them to your State Vet. The tests in Ca. are .40 cents per bird. The only problem: you need to tell them what to test for.

I'm sorry I haven't logged on in a few days. Any news?
Infectious Laryngotracheitis has no cure. If that's what they have, culling is the only option. There is a vaccine which keeps it from spreading and survivors are immune. However, survivors are carriers. Housing should be disinfected and left empty for 6 weeks minimum.
This is a reportable disease in many states, I'm not sure about where you are.
Mortality is usually only 20 % but can be up to 70% with an acute infection. It's more common in cold wet weather.

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/vs/nahss/disease_status.htm

If you are in Minnesota it is reportable with a vet diagnosis.
http://www.bah.state.mn.us/bah/rules/reportable-diseases.html

Good luck and keep us informed.

Last edited:
I heard from a friend that a possible treatment is puttingg "tryamieasine" in the chicken's water for a week. I've Googled "tryamieasine" with no results, so I'm thinking he may have misspelled it.

Anyone know what he is referring to? He says in comes in little packets, so it must be a powder, and runs about $3.50 a packet.

Any ideas?

terramycin is an eye ointment and won't work for this.

Terramycin is actually available in powdered form to put in drinking water fo treat various diseases, as well as in an ointment for treating eye trouble associated with some diseases.

There is a Medicine Chart on my site linked in my sig below that can help in figuring out what medicines are good for treating what, where to find them, etc.
(I apologize in advance for how tedious you will see it is to look through the info--I need better technology on the site so it's easier to navigate, but haven't been able to find any yet.)

Back
Top Bottom