Help! New duckling has something hard on its back.

I did try it this morning....the lil older one started pecking at the lil one...so I got protective and got the basket put together. I thought if they can see each other and hear each other for a day or two I’d try again? U think I should try again tonight? I worry lil pip won’t be able to get away if the older one gets aggressive.

You could try again tonight, or you could just wait a day or two. Letting them see and hear each other for a day or two is a good plan, and will probably help.

Got a question for u....so I am using a red heat lamp...how do I know if it’s warm enough or too warm for them...especially being a few days apart. When I hold them the couple day older ones feet are warm...the newer one...lil pip as I call him...lol...his are cool. I feel like I have the older one where he can get in and out of the light as he sees fit....the littler one doesn’t have as much room to get out of it. Also, the little one is just cheeping non stop..is that a sign of temperature? Thank u in advance!! ..
You need a thermometer in there to test the temp. I only keep mine at about 85-90 in the warmest spot the first few days. Then I drop it to about 80-85 in the warmest spot lowering that temp a bit each week until they are starting to go feather out.

The peeping is probably from being alone. Give it a mirror and something to snuggle. Like a small stuffed animal or even just a sock or glove stuffed with paper towel.

Well....it’s a very sad morning for me....lil pip passed away last night. He was such a fighter....and I tried so hard to help him....definitely not the outcome I was hoping for.
so I have a few more eggs in the incubator....I can hear one cheeping in its egg since yesterday. I worry that all the opening I did when pip was in there has affected the eggs shells. I have read some other threads on the shell becoming to hrs for the ducklings to get out....any advice? I don’t want to help and cause problems....but I also don’t want them to die in the egg because they can’t get out. The other thread I read was long and a bit hrs to follow....so many different situations!

Thanks😢.
Ok I sure will! So far I only have one other one....my daughter named Jeffrey😂. He’s doing well! I think I have a couple more eggs thinking about hatching soon! Hopefully all goes well!! 🙏

Ok...so I have another duckling trying to hatch. It has looked like this since this morning. It’s beak is out and there doesn’t seem to be a membrane around it. It’s chirping....
My question is....I worry the shell is gonna be pretty hard because of all the opening the incubator I did when the last lil one was hatching and struggling to get up and around. Do I help....or just leave this one alone for now?? I know there are lots of things on other threads that say when to help or not....but it’s just such a crap shoot I feel like amd I don’t want to screw this up!

My question is....I worry the shell is gonna be pretty hard because of all the opening the incubator I did when the last lil one was hatching and struggling to get up and around.
From what I've read, the shell isn't the problem.

The problem is when the membrane gets dry-- and that only happen after the duckling makes a hole in their own shell (pipping).

So as long as this duckling started pipping AFTER you quit opening the incubator, and as long as the humidity inside the incubator stays high enough while it is actually trying to hatch, it should hatch just as easily as any other duckling.

Do I help....or just leave this one alone for now??
Have you read the article about assisted hatching? I see that shawluvsbirds gave a link yesterday, but here it is again:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/

That article has a lot of good information, including when to assist and when not to assist.
This sentence might apply to your case: "Ducklings and goslings take a really long time sometimes from the time of external pip to the zip. You may want to allow them 24 to 36 hours before you start an assist."

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom