Help! New neighbor suddenly hates chickens!

So how do I install a better fence? There is one between our property but it got so over grown that the posts got bent and fell over. I am trying to fix the gate as well. I do have a camera up facing the gate to come onto my property but she often can toss stuff over the fence and find ways around the camera. Also, she will text me or call, but not sure if that counts as evidt/ writing stuff down in case my phone breaks.
Sounds like your neighbor is playing both sides, feeding them then complaining that chickens are on her property; confusing signals indeed. I don't want you to be paranoid but is there any malice in her intentions? Are your chickens healthy after eating what she tosses over? Avoiding the camera is enough suspicion in a neighbor who suddenly hates your flock but entices them over with tidbits. She did pour chemicals on her flowers that the chickens were eating, right? Sorry to put these thoughts out there but I once had a neighbor do this kind of BS to neighborhood dogs. Nutjob!

Over the past few days, I have read this whole thread, and I have a possible solution !

Motion sensitive sprinklers along the fence line !!!

This, or something similar, could train your birds to stay away from the fence line, or guard any gates or openings in the fence.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...3470F21DBD5AC9ACFDC53470F21DBD5A&&FORM=VDRVRV

Plus it will water your lawn, and if positioned properly, water your neighbor as well !!! :lau :mad: :celebrate

You can thank me later .....
Lol..great idea.

You have my sympathy.

But there is one thing I do not understand: why do you let her do all these things?
There is a lot you could do to keep her away and reinforce boundaries.

In case she really is nuts, prepare and collect evidence for an official complaint.

Set up cameras, file a complaint, sue her for messing with your animals and setting them free, let her pay for the loss of your chickens (lifestock!), get a restraining order (harassment, ongoing trespassing etc.), set up a sprinkler system that will get her wet every time she sets foot on your property or electrify your fence including the coop door handles etc. "to keep raccoons out".

But be careful to only do electric fence OR sprinkler system. Mixing both could lead to death.

After getting the "raccoon treatment" I doubt she will ever touch any door handles on your property again, whether yard gate, run door or coop door handles.
Vintage Vhs GIF by vhspositive

You have my sympathy.

But there is one thing I do not understand: why do you let her do all these things?
There is a lot you could do to keep her away and reinforce boundaries.

In case she really is nuts, prepare and collect evidence for an official complaint.

Set up cameras, file a complaint, sue her for messing with your animals and setting them free, let her pay for the loss of your chickens (lifestock!), get a restraining order (harassment, ongoing trespassing etc.), set up a sprinkler system that will get her wet every time she sets foot on your property or electrify your fence including the coop door handles etc. "to keep raccoons out".

But be careful to only do electric fence OR sprinkler system. Mixing both could lead to death.

After getting the "raccoon treatment" I doubt she will ever touch any door handles on your property again, whether yard gate, run door or coop door handles.
Vintage Vhs GIF by vhspositive

I do not know what you mean by letting her. She unfortunately knows that there is a blind spot in the camera system since the wifi cameras I have to be close to the house and have short range so unless she walks stress up to the cameras they won't record anything useful. and I don't know what to tell the police. And if I get one of those stand alone game cameras she could just take it probably.

Last edited:
Sounds like your neighbor is playing both sides, feeding them then complaining that chickens are on her property; confusing signals indeed. I don't want you to be paranoid but is there any malice in her intentions? Are your chickens healthy after eating what she tosses over? Avoiding the camera is enough suspicion in a neighbor who suddenly hates your flock but entices them over with tidbits. She did pour chemicals on her flowers that the chickens were eating, right? Sorry to put these thoughts out there but I once had a neighbor do this kind of BS to neighborhood dogs. Nutjob!
Its why I am trying to find a way to get her to stop. Unfortunately she just out of camera range. She hasn't been going on about the chickens out as much since I put up a sign that says no trespassing and another that's says 24/7 surveillance. But the spraying still happens. And if it was just one thing I probably would not notice but with everything I am out of patience. The chickens are now just on my property since I have been feeding them food in the evening instead of morning. But haven't seen much with illness since I have been feeding them for a while on a new routine. so not sure how much it is effecting them. Which is why I am trying to avoid them eating to much over there just in case.

Its why I am trying to find a way to get her to stop. Unfortunately she just out of camera range. She hasn't been going on about the chickens out as much since I put up a sign that says no trespassing and another that's says 24/7 surveillance. But the spraying still happens. And if it was just one thing I probably would not notice but with everything I am out of patience. The chickens are now just on my property since I have been feeding them food in the evening instead of morning. But haven't seen much with illness since I have been feeding them for a while on a new routine. so not sure how much it is effecting them. Which is why I am trying to avoid them eating to much over there just in case.
I'm sorry if I'm oversimplifyng, but have you ASKED her why she's doing it and how you can help her out?

Oh my god. she is trespassing and sounds nuts. call the police on her. if she keeps breaking the law you need to report it. get a restraining order.

shift your camera angles. I'm sorry for the loss of your birds. I can't believe you've been dealing with this now for over a year! seriously she is breaking the law

I truly sympathize with your plight however I agree with prior posts. Without knowing your complete situation, financial, physical, emotional there are only 3 or 4 things I can suggest.
Good fences do make great neighbors, install as much quality fencing as you can afford..chicken wire is ok but only keeps chickens in. I recommend 2x4 welded wire fencing and T posts as it can be installed with plastic zip ties
Please lock the gate and post NO TRESPASSING signs i know I know it may irritate your neighbor but gives you legal grounds if the issues continue, keep a journal of everything that happens and date it.
Lastly give her/them farm fresh eggs or bake her something or drop her a "thinking of you" note once in a while. The pandemic has changed people in ways we are still trying to figure out. She may feel stressed from her job and it is manifesting in what you are experiencing with your chickens. All in all do your very best to keep your chickens where they belong and do it with a smile no matter how hard it is to do.

Why is this woman trespassing on your property? Get the,

I'm sorry if I'm oversimplifyng, but have you ASKED her why she's doing it and how you can help her out?
I asked if cutting back or moving plants can help last year. It's about 300-500 feet but I was willing to clear it or move it by hand if she didn't want stuff growing on fence to create a barrier. But she just wanted it cleared completely with chemicals instead. Thinks its better way of doing it. Apparently it's the way to do it with old people living in rural areas? She also used to work at some sort of plant research place in town that I know of and she said she didn't get along with someone there that I met before, I actually talked to their family and their nice people who get along with everyone. I didn't think that person use chemicals either since it could mess with the research. They do a bunch of research there like new kinds of plants or something like. not sure what all they do there. And she mentioned something about adverse possession but that doesn't count since one of the requirements is actually using the land or improvement,not destroying it. And dont peoe have to pay taxes on it for a certain amount of time too? I didn't write it all down since I thought that everything was now off the boundary line so all I had to do was keep it short near the boundary line. As for the chickens not sure. I assume she changed her mind. I just keep them on the other side of the property now as much as I can. Had to ask people to not come over to feed or pet chickens since that would attract them to just anyone and would cause them to go back to her property when she comes home.

And she mentioned something about adverse possession but that doesn't count since one of the requirements is actually using the land or improvement,not destroying it. And dont peoe have to pay taxes on it for a certain amount of time too? I didn't write it all down since I thought that everything was now off the boundary line so all I had to do was keep it short near the boundary line.

How long have you lived there? How long has she lived there? How long has she been trespassing?

If you are clearly telling her not to come onto your property, she is trespassing. Put a lock on the gate, change the camera angle so it will absolutely see her. Have you talked to the police? Next time she comes over, call the police. Also, she is littering on your property.

Keep the chickens where people can't reach them from outside the property line.

She cannot claim adverse possession of your property, she doesn't meet the requirements.

Back
Top Bottom