Help! New neighbor suddenly hates chickens!

Pics
You have my sympathy.

But there is one thing I do not understand: why do you let her do all these things?
There is a lot you could do to keep her away and reinforce boundaries.

In case she really is nuts, prepare and collect evidence for an official complaint.

Set up cameras, file a complaint, sue her for messing with your animals and setting them free, let her pay for the loss of your chickens (lifestock!), get a restraining order (harassment, ongoing trespassing etc.), set up a sprinkler system that will get her wet every time she sets foot on your property or electrify your fence including the coop door handles etc. "to keep raccoons out".

But be careful to only do electric fence OR sprinkler system. Mixing both could lead to death.

After getting the "raccoon treatment" I doubt she will ever touch any door handles on your property again, whether yard gate, run door or coop door handles.
Vintage Vhs GIF by vhspositive
It's not like I am letting her. It's that she does it when I am at work, or if I am at home and she does it, I will go get a camera to record evidence and she would already be back on her property. It doesn't take long to open a gate. And unfortunately if I do the shock thing or something, she probably would find a way to sue me for injury or something like that. And I do have cameras but unfortunately most wireless cameras don't have a good motion detection range so unless she is right in front of the camera it won't record her.

What a situation! Still, it is not as bad as some of the others that have been posted here. There seems to be hope for you. Keep us update, your chickens were there long before she moved in.

Edit to add- put a lock on your gate!
INDEED! Lock her out is the easiest method. Motion cameras on the fence line??? :) :)

I really sympathize this with you, this should be the time in life you get to enjoy your flock not have to wonder what is going to happen to them next...I'm only 3 years into keeping chickens and far from having all the answers but do know they are awesome to have around and call them our feathered aquarium...after a tough day of work they are happy to see me even if its because I am bringing treats. All that being said I am agreeing with most of the suggestions here...you probably need to nip this unwanted behavior from your neighbor before it turns into something out of control. Your course of action is up to you. I hope that you and the neighbor can come to a peaceful decision for all especially the chickens 🐔 if need be pester the local authorities so that you can put in behind you so you can enjoy your flock.

Back
Top Bottom