Help! New neighbor suddenly hates chickens!

Pics

Bantumbarnyard

Chirping
Jun 8, 2020
So I have been living at my residence for just about a year now. I have owned the property for about 2 years. I have had chickens about that long and never had any complaints except if a rooster had escaped my property and went all the way down the road to a little old lady's house and it ate her flowers. I had to get rid of that rooster along with others anyways. So I had a new neighbor move in next to me, and she was happy that the chickens now are free range since she wanted them to eat ticks and how they ate left overs. Well ever since pandimic she started hating them. She isn't home that much, she takes care of elderly people who have demintia full-time. She said they are going on to her property and eating flowers. Even though she hasn't planted any flowers, she actually killed all of them with a mix of household chemicals. She also was happy to have them on the property which was why she bought it. What do I do. I pointed out that when she started feeding them they would go over there more, she would have to stop feeding them on her property.

I'm a small person but have been able to install a fence by myself in a day. Get yourself some t-posts and poultry wire and get to work. Your neighbor has officially declared that she is no longer trust worthy so take care of your little flock and keep them out of her lawn! Sorry that it came down to that and I wish you the best of luck. You can do it!

So I have been living at my residence for just about a year now. I have owned the property for about 2 years. I have had chickens about that long and never had any complaints except if a rooster had escaped my property and went all the way down the road to a little old lady's house and it ate her flowers. I had to get rid of that rooster along with others anyways. So I had a new neighbor move in next to me, and she was happy that the chickens now are free range since she wanted them to eat ticks and how they ate left overs. Well ever since pandimic she started hating them. She isn't home that much, she takes care of elderly people who have demintia full-time. She said they are going on to her property and eating flowers. Even though she hasn't planted any flowers, she actually killed all of them with a mix of household chemicals. She also was happy to have them on the property which was why she bought it. What do I do. I pointed out that when she started feeding them they would go over there more, she would have to stop feeding them on her property.
Neighbors can be the pits. One planted a garden right next to the hen house so I put up a fence along the edge of my property between the hen house and the garden-Of all things, they have a huge yard and put the garden right by the poultry-go figure. Another neighbor came on the property in the backyard. My turkeys have poults an attacked her. Now, she threatens to kill them. We will soon start fencing the whole yard. Good luck.

If you can prove that she poisoned them I would file a complaint with Animal Control. I had a flock of Swedish Flower Hens that a neighbors dogs killed and could prove it. I sent them a bill for $1500 for the cost of raising, and loss of eggs for their lifetime. Amazingly, they sent me a check and their dogs never got out again.

Thanks. And yes, she even would come onto my property to feed them and I had to correct her on that. She would just leave food and attracted a racoon that killed two chickens and hurt two more. This was why I have trouble getting them back to the chicken coop and haven't been able to get them back in fenced area. They started roosting in the tree above the coop and I couldn't reach them to get them back in coop. I do have a fence, but the chickens have found ways around it. I am guessing that was how the raccoon got in and killed the chickens.

I agree if she doesn't want them in her yard, then that needs to be respected. I would also find a time to visit (when she's not upset about the chickens), and gently ask what changed her mind. Perhaps bring her some eggs. The pandemic is making everyone more stressed out and perhaps your chickens are her outlet. She may just need you to listen.

Do keep a written record of your conversations in case this escalates and you need to get help. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom