help! no control on humidity and I hear peeping!

ktdidnokc

Hatching
6 Years
Feb 11, 2013
mustang, oklahoma
This is my first hatch.... My hen went broody then abandoned nest. I pulled the eggs inside on a whim. I made a place for them in a plywood box with newspaper shreds in the bottom, and a regular lightbulb for warmth. I've been spraying the shreds with water to keep it moist the box, but I'm worried after everything I've read about humidity being so important! There is no lid, only a grate of rabbit wire, and a towel covering the top half that the light fixture isn't covering. I've got one peeping, and there is a small hole in the eggshell. The membrane seems very thick, opaque, and white. I have no idea how long it's been peeping, no idea how many days since they were set, and no clue what to do next! I have no way to check humidity levels.... Advice?

Hi :welcome

To measure humidity you need a hygrometer. I used a lizard/reptile one from the pet shop it was inexpensive and did the job well. You should be aiming for about 65% humidity at hatch time. For now you could use wet sponges or wet cloths to try and create some more humidity. Its the surface area of water that creates the humidity and not depth of water in pots or tubs. Plus it's easy for chicks to drown in pots and tubs.

Your membrane sounds ok from how you have described it as being white. It's the brown tan colour you need to look out for that means it's drying out. From that initial pip hole it has made it can take up to 24 hours for then to acctually hatch out. During this time the chick will need to rest and absorb yolk and blood vessels. Hatching is a long tiring process for chicks and can't be rushed.

Hope this helps you a little and your eggs hatch ok :fl

Thanks for the advice! I'm not able to obtain a hygrometer immediately, but I will definitely check into at the first chance I get for future use.
I will keep a close eye on them for the next few days, and I will add a water soaked cloth for extra humidity.
It's hard to keep yourself from wanting to "help" them along in the hatching process! Now that I know I'm in for a long wait, I feel better about venturing more than 5 feet from the box! I'll post pics when it's out. My roo is a silver laced wyandotte, and the hen is a white Leghorn. I can't wait to see what will turn out!

Yes it is hard to not to help. But letting nature take its course is the best option. Many chicks have died because people jump in too soon when the chicks are not ready to hatch.

I have a silver laced roo too!! A polish frizzle one he's my avatar pic. I have got some of his girls first eggs in the incubator now. On day 6 and 14/14 are fertile and growing well. I too am not sure what they will be like as the girls are mixed colours.

Looking forward to seeing your pics.

It's out! Thanks so much for your help!!!

Back
Top Bottom