Help!! (not a pet but I dont know where to post)

BelovedBirds

Crossing the Road
Nov 8, 2021
England
Today I got a call for help from a family member who had found a baby mouse during a storm, she left it out overnight in a sheltered area hoping mum would come get him-
she did not.
In the morning my aunt put him in a little tub in the shed, and put a blanket in with him and some veg. After hours had passed he contacted me asking for advice. By now it had been almost 24 hours without mum, and with only a drop of water given to him.
She was asking to give him cows milk soaked into bread--- ???? Eventually I said I would come get him, and I did. Upon seeing him, he is just tiny. His eyes had not opened in this entire time. He has fur but not all that much. He was suckling on the food.
On the way home I grabbed some kitten formula and goats milk. I got him to take a couple drops, but he wasnt all that interested. I cleaned his bottom which was covered in poop, and he perked up. He's using his back legs to get around so I know he cant be *that* young, and that he can't be dying from dehydration, yet.
I want to get this guy through the night, so I can call a wildlife rehab in the morning. Any advice appreciated

Do you have a syringe with a nipple? Sounds like he might still be nursing.
I'm not sure, following and hoping someone with more experience can come along to help.
I have a pipette which I used for the first feeding but his mouth is too small for it and I didnt want it to get over his nostrils or to give him too much- so I did some internet searching and found a video where someone raised a wild baby the same age using a paint brush dipped in the milk. I tried that just now and it worked okay, he did suckle but not for long

I rescued a baby mouse once. I fed it puppy milk formula and some boiled and mashed carrots and peas. I left a hot water bottle for warmth, and released it when it was mature enough.
good luck!
do you know how old the baby was roughly? I think this little guy is between 10 and 14 days, I think they're meant to be fully weaned by 4-5 weeks so I'm unsure when I should try some solids

Back
Top Bottom