Help! Not pasty butt.. What is it?

beneduck14

Songster
Feb 20, 2015
Cattlet, VA
So last night I cleaned a chick's butt due to some pasty butt problems.

This afternoon I checked him again and found that he wasn't very active and couldn't poop. He does the squat and wing stretching but nothing comes out, then he immediately crouches down lower and starts to shake his whole body little. Other times he just virbrates his wings constantly.I checked his vent and it looked kind of swollen.

He is eating and preening.

What am I dealing with?

Last edited:

Please help!

Has he been eating and drinking regularly? It sounds like he may be constipated. If you have a syringe or an eyedropper you can try to get some water in him. Add a little sugar to the water for some extra energy to see if that will kick-start him into eating and drinking on his own again.

go to tractor supply or your local feed store and get the smallest bottle of Bovidr Labs poultry nutri-drench. Give the chick one drop only by mouth. repeat as needed every 8-10 hours until perky. Out it in his water so the water looks like weak tea. Keep in water for the next 2 weeks to get the chick of to a strong start. http://www.nutridrench.com Read the poultry , testimon and articles sections.
This is an all natural emergency nutritional supplement that does not need to be digested.
Best,
Karen

Last edited:
Has he been eating and drinking regularly? It sounds like he may be constipated. If you have a syringe or an eyedropper you can try to get some water in him. Add a little sugar to the water for some extra energy to see if that will kick-start him into eating and drinking on his own again.

He is eating by himself but I haven't seen him drink on his own. I added sugar and he seems to be doing better. How do I help with the constipation

Mineral oil. Now.

Or coconut oil or olive oil.

With a baby chick, the easiest way to get mineral oil into them is to hold a small cup of it under their beak and they will probably take a healthy swig thinking it's water. This usually just works once. Hah!

If the chick won't oblige by drinking a bit of oil on its own, you will need to get some into its beak with a syringe. It's very risky since a chick could aspirate the oil, but if you do it carefully, squirting a tiny drop at a time into the right side of its beak, it will probably be okay.

For good measure, squirt some oil up its butt to loosen things on the bottom end.

Coconut oil smoothed onto the vent will help with the swelling and discomfort. Preparation H will also help.

Mineral oil. Now.

Or coconut oil or olive oil.

With a baby chick, the easiest way to get mineral oil into them is to hold a small cup of it under their beak and they will probably take a healthy swig thinking it's water. This usually just works once. Hah!

If the chick won't oblige by drinking a bit of oil on its own, you will need to get some into its beak with a syringe. It's very risky since a chick could aspirate the oil, but if you do it carefully, squirting a tiny drop at a time into the right side of its beak, it will probably be okay.

For good measure, squirt some oil up its butt to loosen things on the bottom end.

Coconut oil smoothed onto the vent will help with the swelling and discomfort. Preparation H will also help.

Olive oil pure with no water or anything mixed in? Huh... i'll have to give that a try

It sounds like it's not drinking enough water. I agree with giving it oil especially up the butt. Let us know how your baby is doing.

Back
Top Bottom