Help? Not sure if this is a problem.

elphabafalls

Songster
Jul 27, 2020
My girls started laying this last week. I have 6 Gold Sex Links, 1 Rhode Island Red and 1 Lavender Orpington. I know Rain, the Lavender, isn't laying. That breed is very slow to mature, and Rain is a little younger than the others. Maggie Mae, one of our Sex Links, isn't laying yet. She's showing zero signs. Within one week, we went from 1 egg (our first) to 5 eggs per day. They were a little small at first, but they're getting bigger. That's pretty normal I understand. I've also heard that soft, water-balloon like eggs are kinda common for first time layers. When I went out to check on them this evening after securing them in their coop because they've been trying to sleep in the nesting boxes, there was a water-balloon egg sitting under one of the chickens. I figured it was from the one that hadn't started laying yet but was close. We have 6 that are showing signs of being ready to lay but only 5 eggs a day. When we went out a final time to make sure they were ok, another water-balloon egg was sitting under the chickens in about the same place as the earlier one. That means that the same baby had to lay 2 in one night, or it means that a hen that's already been laying good eggs dropped this mess. Since there were 2 in the same night, is this a possible calcium deficiency? Or is it more likely to be because they're all new layers? I don't want to over correct and give them too much calcium.

It's a problem. It's not normal. This layer may be just working through some beginner glitches and it could correct on its own or she could be headed for trouble. You need to try to identify which one is putting out these shell-less eggs.

Egg binding is not relegated to older layers. New layers can find themselves in this predicament with their very first eggs. If you can figure out which one, the treatment is simple and easy and should get her on track in a very short order. If left alone, this pattern of two eggs in a one day cycle can end up in egg binding, infection, sterility, and even death.

The treatment is this.
P1010010.JPG
Get some. Give your water balloon girl one whole tablet each day until she lays one egg per day that has a good shell. Continue for a couple days beyond to be sure her assembly line is fixed.

The problem with letting soft eggs go to chance is that they are very difficult to pass, often get stuck, and the reason for it is not enough calcium in the shell gland for two eggs at the same time. The calcium citrate is a form that is much easier to digest than oyster shell and works much faster to correct the problem. This calcium infusion will also correct and regulate the eggs being released by the ovary. She should be on the right track in just a few short days.

Do not worry about calcium toxicity. She won't suffer any ill effects from doing this for a few days or even a few weeks. And, no, she will have no problem swallowing a large pill.

It's a problem. It's not normal. This layer may be just working through some beginner glitches and it could correct on its own or she could be headed for trouble. You need to try to identify which one is putting out these shell-less eggs.

Egg binding is not relegated to older layers. New layers can find themselves in this predicament with their very first eggs. If you can figure out which one, the treatment is simple and easy and should get her on track in a very short order. If left alone, this pattern of two eggs in a one day cycle can end up in egg binding, infection, sterility, and even death.

The treatment is this. View attachment 2455331Get some. Give your water balloon girl one whole tablet each day until she lays one egg per day that has a good shell. Continue for a couple days beyond to be sure her assembly line is fixed.

The problem with letting soft eggs go to chance is that they are very difficult to pass, often get stuck, and the reason for it is not enough calcium in the shell gland for two eggs at the same time. The calcium citrate is a form that is much easier to digest than oyster shell and works much faster to correct the problem. This calcium infusion will also correct and regulate the eggs being released by the ovary. She should be on the right track in just a few short days.

Do not worry about calcium toxicity. She won't suffer any ill effects from doing this for a few days or even a few weeks. And, no, she will have no problem swallowing a large pill.
Thank you! Going to get the pills tomorrow. Going out tonight to try to which hen is laying the balloon eggs. It may be difficult because they like to almost pile on each other when they sleep at night. I may have to treat 2 of them just to be sure. The place where the 2 eggs were found could be Darling or Penny. They're sleeping so close together it's impossible to tell which dropped them. Thank you again.

Or is it more likely to be because they're all new layers? I don't want to over correct and give them too much calcium.
I think it's fairly normal, especially with newly laying high production breeds.
What all and how exactly are you feeding?
You could dose her with more calcium, but I'd say it will work out on it's own.

I think it's fairly normal, especially with newly laying high production breeds.
What all and how exactly are you feeding?
You could dose her with more calcium, but I'd say it will work out on it's own.
Right now, they're being fed Dumor layer feed. They also get fresh veggies or fruits. Lately, it's been zucchini, cucumbers or spaghetti squash because of the time of year. They also get plain yogurt when I have it. I gave them some this morning after the incident last night. We also raise beetles/mealworms to supplement their protein in the winter. They get about 2 to 4 a day.

I'd cut out the veg and fruit...it's diluting the nutrients in the feed.
Really? Oh, they're going to be pissed off. I'm blaming it on you lol. Seriously, though, I will give it a try. I can't stand the idea of one of my girls being in pain. I figured since those water-balloon eggs were laid after dark that it might be an issue - or become an issue. I'm so glad there's a place to go for help. Thank you everyone!

I doubt they are in pain.

Soft shell often are dropped wherever...they don't 'feel' like a shelled egg..and can have trouble moving down the pike because there's no hard surface for the contractions to push against.
Concerning the pain I mentioned, I meant that if this progresses and turns into something worse. I'm willing to do what it takes to prevent that because I don't want them to be in pain.

Back
Top Bottom