Help now please! Sick Domineque may not make through the day!

Doesn't sound like sour crop, but could be the early stages. Please dont panic about the aforementioned diseases at this point. She may have eaten something that was a bit poisonous and is making her feel ill, like the Angel Trumpets or something else. Also, she may have eaten rat poop around her area. That might do it as well. Just keep her warm and do what you're doing and time should tell. Hope she recovers.

It could be the start of an impacted or blocked crop. If so the olive oil should help move things along.

The main reason for green droppings is bile, for some reason feed is not passing through the hen's system.

Do they have access to a compost pile? Often times birds can get sick from the molds and stuff in that.

Do they have access to a compost pile? Often times birds can get sick from the molds and stuff in that.

Absolutely, that is how two of my hens got sour crop and one died (she was in molt and always had a bit of a pendulous crop anyway) Mine was fenced, but the pile had gotten so large that they could reach the edges by sticking their heads through the fence. I'm positive those two got into a pocket of moldy feed at the bottom of the pile.​

Thanks for all your help guys! She just started shaking and flopped her head down and died. I am going out to sterilize my coops! So sad, but that is the life of chickening! Again thanks.

Well, shoot! I'm so sorry about the little one.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom