Help on hatching two eggs 3 days apart

paleochick

Chirping
7 Years
Dec 2, 2012
Southern California
I have a hen that has hatched one egg successfully and has one more to hatch (fertile). The chick is just over 24 hours old and I expect the other egg to hatch within 24-48 hours. Is that too long between hatchings for the hen and chicks to do well? Hen is not sitting on egg as much as she was right after the chick hatched.

I don't have an incubator so I can't take the egg and hatch it. Should I continue to encourage the hen to sit on the egg and move the chick to her?

You can't make a hen sit on an egg. If you remove the first chick she may go back to setting. Have you candled the remaining egg to see if it's viable?

It is viable and should have hatched within a day of the other egg. I currently have the hen, chick and egg in a large dog crate with a nest box. She does return to the egg frequently with both the egg and chick underneath her. They are all inside the house too with regular temperature and humidity.

I just didn't know how long the hen could be off the egg at a time (right now around 30 mins then back on the egg for 30 minutes - her choice not mine).

Back
Top Bottom