Help on newborn Nigerian Dwarf goat-- Emergency!

hugs.gif
I am so sorry for your loss.
hugs.gif

Mineral blocks, even those made for goats, do not have enough vitamins and minerals in them for goats ironically enough. You'll need to give loose mineral and/or Bo-Se on a regular basis.

Quote:
Thank you - i have only had goats about two years - this is the second birth at the farm so i see i lucked out the first time then

A word on selenium. I think some people get a little crazy with this stuff and Bo-Se. When I first got into goats, all the breeders told me I had to supplement selenium because "our area is deficient" and from what I hear from people online every area is apparently deficient but this map: http://tin.er.usgs.gov/geochem/doc/averages/se/usa.html

tells
me that my area is definitely not deficient and in fact neither is most of the US. Also I never heard of Bo-Se until I starting looking on different goat oriented boards. People in the area have always recommended black oil sunflower seeds(BOSS) which I now mix into their feed. It's easier to get than Bo-Se and you have much less chance of overdosing, hence the lack of prescription for BOSS.

Thank you for that - I appreciate your input - i still fall back on there was something internally up with her - the other two were bouncing around playing this morning jsut fine and they are the same size as she was -

Quote:
Have you done a soil test? Our soil is deficient in selenium, which makes their grass have less selenium. According that map, we are not deficient, but in fact we are.

No, but my goats and sheep mainly get their roughage from hay as I don't have space for pasture. I used to buy locally grown hay but now i buy from a hay dealer and he gets it from many different states.

Back
Top Bottom