Help!!! One chicken gasping for air and the other very lethargic and messy vent

Cocohens

Chirping
May 14, 2020
Hi there,

I’m having a disaster with my girls lately. One died 2 weeks ago, and after checking the rest over and them looking good etc I put her death down to an unfortunate event. I now have two other girls struggling.. one is gasping for air and looking very sad, and the other is very lethargic and has a messy vent ! I have wormed them all etc. Please someone advise me best on what to do!

NOTE: I have now been to the avian vet that’s close by and they have indeed diagnosed both hens with gapeworm! Having given them both a dose of Ivermectin it’s gonna be hit and miss for the next 24hrs! If they make it through the next day they should survive ! So distressing
Thanks,
Coco

Last edited:
Hi there,

I’m having a disaster with my girls lately. One died 2 weeks ago, and after checking the rest over and them looking good etc I put her death down to an unfortunate event. I now have two other girls struggling.. one is gasping for air and looking very sad, and the other is very lethargic and has a messy vent ! I have wormed them all etc. Please someone advise me best on what to do!

NOTE: I have now been to the avian vet that’s close by and they have indeed diagnosed both hens with gapeworm! Having given them both a dose of Ivermectin it’s gonna be hit and miss for the next 24hrs! If they make it through the next day they should survive ! So distressing
Thanks,
Coco
Were they able to see the worms?
I hope they start to improve. Keep us posted on how it goes.

Were they able to see the worms?
I hope they start to improve. Keep us posted on how it goes.
The vet said it seemed to be a classic case. Was able to see some very small red worms in the faeces. Im hoping the ivermectin works and we wake up to two spritely girls tomorrow. Xx

The vet said it seemed to be a classic case. Was able to see some very small red worms in the faeces. Im hoping the ivermectin works and we wake up to two spritely girls tomorrow. Xx
I hope it works too. Did they send you home with a follow up dose of Ivermectin to give in 2wks or are you going back?

I hope it works too. Did they send you home with a follow up dose of Ivermectin to give in 2wks or are you going back?
No she sent me home with enough of a dose for the other two hens in my little flock just incase. And suggested I buy some of the flubenvet pellets to give them for a week straight every few months. Apparently the gapeworms can live in the ground for years to come, so I am best to keep treating them continuously, and verm x isn’t particularly great. Xx

Back
Top Bottom