Help, one day old chick not doing well

Annabelleshome

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 18, 2013
Hello,

About half my eggs hatched and are doing good, except the last one is clearly weak. I have her in a little seperated box within the brooder box so she does not get trampled and have the heat up but when I have it all the way at the 99.5 temp it seems to stress her.

Is there some thing I can give the chick to help get her strength up? I am doing a watery mix of whipped egg and water right now, but I fear it may be of no use.

Thank you,
Karen

Thank you yes, I agree and was watching the temps. I decided to sit with them today, and took a run to the grocery store and got some pedialite for children when I saw a slight improvement after giving her what I could. I also read there was some success with mashed toufu, so the next best thing I could try was plain organic soy milk. So I alternated with the egg soup (whipped egg yolk blended with hot (not boiling) water and cooled) and she accepted some of that since she was used to that in the egg, with a bit of soy milk, and water. When I got away to get the pedialite I changed out the water with that. She is now showing some signs of recovery but will continue to watch the thermometer and give the nutrients every half an hour. She is now sleeping in a normal position like the the other birds and resting with out anxiety. Where as before she was fighting sleep and falling over and once I found her on her back, and they must fight it as it seems they know when they are about to expire. Thank you Angel and Country Cake Lady for responding, it sure helps to know Im not alone and that I am doing some of the right things. :) Ill definatly order the sav a chick to have in my stocked shelf but Im glad the grocery had Pedialite to get some electrolites in her . :)

Karen

Give the chick some simple syrup sugar water maybe 3 parts boiling water to one part sugar. Let it cool to body temp and allow the chick to drink as much of it as it will consume free choice. Don't try to force liquids on it after you introduce it to the sugar water. Make sure it doesn't skinny dip in the water.

My chick is exactly the same. Its as if shes too weak to stand up properly and move around. Her sibling is doing great but she just lies there and pants. I'll try her with your egg soup!

:) You are so welcome....I too am a first time mama...so I am learning also! I never had to experience mine getting sick as babies....about a month or so ago, I had 3 who came down with cocci....now that is trouble for sure! :( Thankfully, due to the great folks on here, and advice from them, I caught it in time...before it was too late. :/

The little one made three recoveries only to pass away in the night last week. it was heartbreaking after so much suffering even with the round the clock care.

Back
Top Bottom