Help! One got underfoot!

Thank you - I just spent some time feeling around one of the other chickens and then feeling around her. I think her keel is broken. Poor thing. I'm going to do my best and research!!

Thank you -  I just spent some time feeling around one of the other chickens and then feeling around her.  I think her keel is broken.  Poor thing.  I'm going to do my best and research!!

Does it feel broken or bent? If it's bent, there is something that causes that in chickens, but I don't know anything about it.

Would giving aspirin make it worse if it was bleeding internally?

That's a really good point, as Aspirin is an antiplatelet.

However, it's blood-thinning properties are offset by the Vitamin K compounds (which are fat-soluble, and mostly responsible for blood coagulation) that are both stored w/in the livers, and made by the bacteria w/in the intestinal tracts, of otherwise healthy poultry.

But, it wouldn't be a bad idea to supplement under these circumstances. I went to find foods rich in the vitamin K compounds, and stumbled upon a really good website for general nutrition >> peck here << to open their page on K in a new window ~'-)

It doesn't feel broken in the main piece, but there are 3 little loose knobbies right under the skin. It still can't bring it's leg under itself and it doesn't keep it's left eye open. But it is more alert and strong than last night.

Thanks for the nutrition links!!

It doesn't feel broken in the main piece, but there are 3 little loose knobbies right under the skin. It still can't bring it's leg under itself and it doesn't keep it's left eye open. But it is more alert and strong than last night.

Thanks for the nutrition links!!

No chick could hope for a better owner ... you're doin' everything you can, and -- no matter the outcome -- should take pride in that fact.

Checkin' things out by comparing one against others of the same breed/age is a great way to figure out what may be goin' on inside. And, I've another link for ya ...

... it's an online slide presentation on chicken anatomy that you might find useful: >> peck here << to open it in another window. Hover your mouse around elements of each page, for more detailed information (you can 'right-click' and 'save as' to keep your own copy at home ~'-)

Last edited:
Thank you!!

It's definitely more alert this afternoon. It can hold up it's head by itself, and is pecking a crumble yogurt mix off of my finger without a problem. Actually, I'd say that it's eating enthousiastically.

Right now it's kind of sitting with it's legs straight out in front of it - it's not making an attempt to get up yet, but both eyes are open now and it's definitely alert.

One thing, is that it's tried to cheep a few times but no sound comes out.

I'm very, very happy that it is eating!!!

I'd say a spinal injury, but I'm extremely new to chickens, so what do I know.
wink.png

Thank you!!

It's definitely more alert this afternoon.  It can hold up it's head by itself, and is pecking a crumble yogurt mix off of my finger without a problem.  Actually, I'd say that it's eating enthousiastically.  

Right now it's kind of sitting with it's legs straight out in front of it - it's not making an attempt to get up yet, but both eyes are open now and it's definitely alert.

One thing, is that it's tried to cheep a few times but no sound comes out.  

I'm very, very happy that it is eating!!!

If you pinch it's leg bone between your fingernails, does it flinch or does it do nothing?

Back
Top Bottom