Help! One got underfoot!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jendodd79, Oct 22, 2012.

1. jendodd79

jendodd79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2012
    I was just watering the chicks and one of my 4 week old lavender orp chicks got under foot and squished!!! :( It's not dead, but it flopped around for about 30 seconds while I tried to get a hold of it and then it closed it's eyes. It's still breathing. We brought it inside and have a little care bed for it. It's eyes are closed. I don't think it's neck is broken because it's moved it's legs - Could it just be in shock, should we wait it out and see? I feel so terrible, I have no idea how it even happened :(

2. Oh dear!! I hope it gets better!

3. jendodd79

Aug 20, 2012
    I just don't know what to do - Do chickens go in to shock?

4. Joe Jordan

Joe Jordan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    [​IMG]

5. How hard did you step on it? Was it at a strange angle?

6. jendodd79

Aug 20, 2012
    I didn't even see it happen, but it was hard. I felt it, so I don't think it was full weight - it happened so fast.

It's breathing at a normal rate and has it's eyes closed and laying down. It's opening and closing it's beak periodically

7. baby animals, especially chicks and ducklings and the like, have an incredable ability to bounce back. Remember, wood ducklings jump out of trees at a few weeks old. Their bones are still soft, and not as easily broken.

8. jendodd79

Aug 20, 2012

its just worrying me that it seems like it is sleeping. It opened it's eyes ans stretched itself out a minute ago and then closed them again

9. It's probably exhausted. If it stretched, then it's probably ok. Make sure it stays warm enough.

10. jendodd79

Aug 20, 2012
    Thank you - I put a heating pad under the blankets. I also dipped it's beak in water with a little drop of pure maple syrup and it did drink and then shake it's head. Still with it's eyes closed. I'd say that I probably stepped on it's left side because it seems to be curled a little around that direction. Finger's crossed that it's just in shock - poor thing :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by