Help! One got underfoot!

Thank you!!

It's definitely more alert this afternoon. It can hold up it's head by itself, and is pecking a crumble yogurt mix off of my finger without a problem. Actually, I'd say that it's eating enthousiastically.

Right now it's kind of sitting with it's legs straight out in front of it - it's not making an attempt to get up yet, but both eyes are open now and it's definitely alert.

One thing, is that it's tried to cheep a few times but no sound comes out.

I'm very, very happy that it is eating!!!

I'm glad to hear that's she seems to be improving. As you can see in the slides? There's lots of stuff in there that could be injured/swollen/sore. That's where the aspirin solution might help at least make her feel a bit better, which may aid in recovery. Also, I'd sprinkle plenty of crumbles around her to peck at ... might persuade her to start movin' around a bit more, which (if by her own choice) may help her get even better ~'-)

Well she's definitely getting stronger, but I'm not sure now if she'll walk again, :( She sits back and can get her left leg under her but her right leg is splayed forward. She's really resistant and won't let me push it back under her. I've seen some inventive lego chicken chairs to help prop up birds - lol. Everyone at home is telling me to put her down, but she's not in obvious distress and is improving otherwise. Eating and drinking when it's offered. Looking for advice, because I don't want to do the wrong thing.

I wouldnt put her down just yet. She is improving daily for you obvoisuly. The question was asked earlie, when you try to pinch her leg a little does she flinch it or does it just sit there? that would tell you if she had feeling to the leg.

It also depends on if you are willing to care for a special needs chicken down the road. It would be really hard to do all this work to help her survive only to not be able to care for her. A ton of us on here have special needs girls, and it is the most rewarding thing.

Last edited:
Would taking her to the vet to get an X-ray be out of the question?
hu.gif
Maybe get more of an idea of exactly what you would be dealing with now and in the future? It might make any decision you have to make much easier on yourself and her.

"I wouldnt put her down just yet. She is improving daily for you ... It would be really hard to do all this work to help her survive only to not be able to care for her. A ton of us on here have special needs girls, and it is the most rewarding thing."

"Would taking her to the vet to get an X-ray be out of the question?
hu.gif
Maybe get more of an idea of exactly what you would be dealing with now and in the future? It might make any decision you have to make much easier on yourself and her."

If it were only a matter of the practical management of a flock, then a bird w/ such injuries would be immediately culled. But, if we were bein' purely practical, then logic would dictate that we most probably wouldn't have chickens at all. Most folks (myself included) fall somewhere in between ...

If it were me, and when this first happened, I woulda most probably culled her within minutes. But, lucky for this bird? It wasn't me ... it was her. And, jendodd79's struggling with that increasingly painful decision that often comes with our efforts to save any injured creature.

As impractical as many may find these suggestions, they're worthy of consideration ... although I personally would try my best not to allow my heart to win this one. But, at this point? Your bird doesn't appear to be suffering, and may actually improve if given a bit more time ... and if not? Then that would be the time to allow somebody like me to carry a bit of your load (no need for you to experience what somebody else already has )-;~

Thank you! I apologize, I missed that original questions.

It definitely does not like it when I pinch it's legs, and pulls them away. It's getting some spunk back now. I didn't like to be held very much before, and it putting up a fuss when I pick it up today.

As far as a special needs chicken - I'd definitely be willing to continue with care, even if it meant bringing it to work with me. Luckily, I have the luxury to do that.

I'll have to call our local vet. I live in an isolated, island like place. We don't have an avian or even a farm vet here full time. I'm not sure if the vet my dog goes to would look at it.

I do know some people who would help me put it down, if it comes to that. I thought about it right away, when I thought that I broke it's neck - but I'm glad that I gave it the night, even if it meant sleeping on the concrete floor for the night. Lol!

Will keep you all posted! She's such a pretty bird. Well that's the other problem, I'm 99% sure that it is a pullet - comparing it's non existent comb to the huge combs of 2 of it's siblings. If it ends up being a cockeral I won't be able to keep it at all.

I try 'n be all logical w/ my advice, but I've done the same sorta thing ... givin' hours, even days, to a keet here 'n there, and tryin' to recover one, and most recently, a chick that escaped for over twenty hours (and, survived the damp mid-thirties night ~'-)

You've done well ... consider patiently waiting for signs of either improvement or decline, as I can't imagine that actually knowing what part(s) may be broken/injured would make any real difference in her treatment, but you do whatever it is that you feel you must.

I am so sorry for the trauma you & your bird experienced! It's difficult to not accidentally step on the little ones who get underfoot.

Opening her mouth in rhythm with each breath is a sign of pain, & closing her eyes is.

I wonder if her having one or both legs sticking out in front of her might mean they got dislocated at the hip. If this is the case, I think it would be best to put her down. I'm afraid her pain & confusion would be too much.

Depending on the circumstances, it can also takes A LOT of time to care for a severely crippled bird, & the accomodating supportive treatments & care can themselves sometimes create significant stress & pain for the chicken. Myself, I held onto one pullet in particular too long, & what she went through was sometimes very hard on her.

I've posted a lot of info about various leg problems on the Poultry Podiatry page linked in my sig below. Some of the topics may have a ideas that may help a little, if you decide to keep seeing if she may end up okay; I'm so tired right now I don't know how many things I could remember to recommend that I've posted. As you observe your pullet, I hope you'll be able to figure out what may be best for her case.

I'd guess it'd be good to keep her as still as you can encourage her to be this first little while, to let muscles & tendons & bones & everything heal, if you think she might be able to heal enough. I am very worried about her chances though, from the little I know about it.

You have been giving this pullet some tender kindnesses! I'm sure she has appreciated your caring.
I am so sorry for your struggles.
hugs.gif
I know situations like this are so hard to go through.

It doesn't really seem like a fit, but you could look over the description of a slipped Achilles tendon on the Poultry Podiatry page & see if there's a remote chance of that problem with her.

Back
Top Bottom