Help, One year old male peacock with huge lump on his eye

newduckie

Songster
12 Years
Nov 9, 2009
Missouri Ozarks
my year old peacock has a huge lump on his eye. My peas are not very tame and it was beyond squeezing by the time I saw it. I have treated with several different antibiotics in the past months. Nothing helped. I took him to the vet about a month ago and he stuck a needle in and there was no pus. He gave him a few shots and cut it open and said it is all tissue. He said it started as a sinus infection but was way beyond that now. I am afraid I will have to put him down. My vet is a country vet that doesn’t do work on birds and there is not an avian vet for God knows how far. I am still giving him LS50 every day via syringe. It has softened up but is no smaller. Is there anything I can do for him or is culling the best option? I have him in a separate shed with a heat lamp , which he never leaves. He is eating good. He gets scrambled eggs and various other foods a day plus his regular food. He is still very thin tho.

Attachments

• D3A83C58-2AC8-47B1-A9A9-216CCA640508.jpeg
    D3A83C58-2AC8-47B1-A9A9-216CCA640508.jpeg
    435.7 KB · Views: 198
Did that vet know that bird pus is not like mammal pus and it's actually hard and not liquid? If he tried to draw it out with a syringe, even if it was pus it probably wouldn't have come out that way.

Whether it's pus or tissue, it would have to be cut out and removed. I would try to find a vet in your area willing to do it. Have you called around to all the local clinics to see if any will do birds and have experience with them?

Some people do cut the pus lumps out of their birds on their own, but since the vet says it's tissue, I'm not sure I'd attempt it, even though the vet might have been wrong about that if he wasn't aware avian pus was solid.

@casportpony what do you think?

I think I could cut it opens and really clean it out myself but I don’t think something this major should be done with nothing for pain. I know they say birds don’t feel pain the same but that would be torture I would think.

my year old peacock has a huge lump on his eye. My peas are not very tame and it was beyond squeezing by the time I saw it. I have treated with several different antibiotics in the past months. Nothing helped. I took him to the vet about a month ago and he stuck a needle in and there was no pus. He gave him a few shots and cut it open and said it is all tissue. He said it started as a sinus infection but was way beyond that now. I am afraid I will have to put him down. My vet is a country vet that doesn’t do work on birds and there is not an avian vet for God knows how far. I am still giving him LS50 every day via syringe. It has softened up but is no smaller. Is there anything I can do for him or is culling the best option? I have him in a separate shed with a heat lamp , which he never leaves. He is eating good. He gets scrambled eggs and various other foods a day plus his regular food. He is still very thin tho.
Were you able to find a solution?

Back
Top Bottom