Help! Opened eggs on day 23 and they are still alive!!

Gracekelly76

Chirping
Aug 17, 2020
Sydney NSW Australia
Firstly I'm only a beginner at incubating eggs, so I have 2 Rhode Island Red eggs that didn't hatch and it's day 23 and I thought they were dead because there was no movement when I candled and no sound so I opened the eggs from the air cell side in case they were alive but didn't expect them to be and they are so now I have 2 eggs with holes in them about the size of a thumb nail, they both have visable veins and I think unabsorbed yolks but I'm unsure so I'm going to leave them. One of them has also internally pipped.

I will add photos when I can tomorrow

Any advice or just wait it out? I'm scared of the second one drowning

Here is the eggs, the membrane is white and I've been spraying it and it goes see through, scared it might dry out, should I stop?
This is the one that internally pipped, it's got its beak out a lot further than yesterday
_20200818_084300.JPG

This is the other one, I can't see where it's beak is and it's not making noise but moving a lot
_20200818_084404.JPG

Sorry for your chick :( How is the other one making out? It's not your fault. Was it only the 2 eggs you were incubating this time?
No, those two were just late. The other one stopped trying to get out of the egg and was trying to squeeze through the hole I made so I took more egg shell off and went to bed and overnight it managed to push itself out and is fine, I'll post a pic

Firstly I'm only a beginner at incubating eggs, so I have 2 Rhode Island Red eggs that didn't hatch and it's day 23 and I thought they were dead because there was no movement when I candled and no sound so I opened the eggs from the air cell side in case they were alive but didn't expect them to be and they are so now I have 2 eggs with holes in them about the size of a thumb nail, they both have visable veins and I think unabsorbed yolks but I'm unsure so I'm going to leave them. One of them has also internally pipped.

I will add photos when I can tomorrow

Any advice or just wait it out? I'm scared of the second one drowning
Have you checked the temp in your incubator with a calibrated thermometer? I'm guessing your temp is way off. Can you post a pic of the eggs? I'm guessing they won't be ready for another 2 or 3 days yet.

The only way the chick would drown is if the air cell filled with liquid. Try to keep the humidity up so the membranes do not dry out. Since one is internally pipped your having made a hole should not hurt as long as they don't dry out.
I've read that someone had a chick not end up internally pipping and drowned inside? Sorry I'm new at this :(

Back
Top Bottom