Help!!!! Opened incubated egg too soon! Chick's still alive?!?

Oh my gosh, that's so cute!
th.gif

The one looking out the "window" is just precious! Glad the little one made it, she's adorable!
Thank you,I would never have been able to help her if it hadn't been for all these wonderful people online
smile.png

Agreed - that's too cute! I'm not very good at coming up with names (only 2 of my 6 chickens have names now).
But here are some ideas - Greta, Kayla, Clara, Nona?
But what happens if you end up with a couple of Roos? I know there are people out there that sex baby chicks for a living but I wouldn't have any idea until they were several weeks old.

Agreed - that's too cute! I'm not very good at coming up with names (only 2 of my 6 chickens have names now).
But here are some ideas - Greta, Kayla, Clara, Nona?
But what happens if you end up with a couple of Roos? I know there are people out there that sex baby chicks for a living but I wouldn't have any idea until they were several weeks old.
I'm praying neither one becomes a roo. I like to pretend that as long as I call them she's, they can't be anything but girls.
roll.png
But if I do end up with a rooster, I've already got someone who will take him as a pet. Also,I try to name them things that can go either way. Like, Georgia/George or Pattie/Patrick. Even Amelia can become Amil.

I'm praying neither one becomes a roo. I like to pretend that as long as I call them she's, they can't be anything but girls. :rolleyes:  But if I do end up with a rooster, I've already got someone who will take him as a pet. Also,I try to name them things that can go either way. Like, Georgia/George or Pattie/Patrick. Even Amelia can become Amil.

Lol I always do the same thing. I call them all she's thinking maybe they will all turn out to be hens

We are pretty new to the chicken and egg thing. we had a gray chicken who kept going on "walk-about" otherewise known as escaping from the coop and when we finally tracked her down we found her sitting on 19 eggs. We moved them all into a seperate bedding area with water and food (we live in coyote area) she gave up sitting onthe eggs so we moved them again into a makeshift incubator and have hatched 7 chicks but all on day 25 or 26. I was surprised that it took so long. Perhaps chicks like babies arrive whenever they want :)

I've had a similar situation trying to help a chick hatch. There was quite a bit of blood so i stopped and put it back in the bator with a damp paper towel. Now ive removed most of the shell and membrane and the yolk hasn't absorbed fully. How can I help it? Is there any substitute for the yolk that i could feed it?

Back
Top Bottom