1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help or no help?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jeepers210, Mar 12, 2011.

1. jeepers210

jeepers210 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2010
    Hanover PA
    Its my first time hatching....I have a welsummer who is ready to enter the world. The egg is rolling around everywhere with constant chirping! This has been going on for 6 hours. Is there ever a time to step in and help? Need some advice.

2. Higins00

Higins00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Ct
    Usually I don't step in until 24 hours from when they broke the first hole. I only do this because I have found when I don't, they die in the egg so I mine as well try to help it. But like I said You have to be patient and wait. Use your best jugement.

3. scovy123

scovy123 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2011
    leave it be. let nature do it's thing. [​IMG]

4. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    So long as your humidity is high, leave it alone. If after 24+ hours there has been no change, THEN consider helping. And only if it doesn't bleed when you mess with it.

5. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    jeepers, love your signature line by the way...who'd a thunk it that after 29 years I'd have a passion for chickens too??

6. FarmerVal

FarmerVal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2010
    Lebanon, Tennessee
    The first egg that pipped I swore would be the first to hatch. No kidding, about 24 hours and 7 or 8 chicks later she finally came out! Mine were chirping and moving around on day 19. Tonight at 7:30 pm it will be day 22 and I still have eggs that are just now pipping.

7. jeepers210

jeepers210 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2010
    Hanover PA
    Well, I just came back from the store and behold....she/he hatched! Thanks all!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by