Help our Pekin

djB1965

Hatching
Jun 5, 2022
D

djB1965

Not eating​

We think our two year Pekin survived a hawk grab. We’re keeping her wounds clean. It’s been five days and she’s been very quiet and isn’t eating. Day four she ventured out into the yard with me and the dogs but didn’t really forage. She’s spending most days on our deck under cover of our camp stove or inside the house and nights inside. She’s a picky eater (won’t eat lettuce, watermelon, peas, mint, basil, etc). Sometimes she’ll eat spinach and sardines. She won’t eat any of that now. Her favorite treat is dried worms. She won’t even eat those. Could she still be in shock? The wounds seem to be healing nicely. TIA

Where was she bitten?
When she is outside is she in a run or free-range? She is hiding because she feels vulnerable. She most likely will not forage until she feels safe again and with it only being 5 days ago it very well may be too soon especially if she is not in a run with a roof. I would highly recommend an electrolyte vitamin poultry supplement and I would wet her feed (not treats/extras) to make a mash.

Where was she bitten?
When she is outside is she in a run or free-range? She is hiding because she feels vulnerable. She most likely will not forage until she feels safe again and with it only being 5 days ago it very well may be too soon especially if she is not in a run with a roof. I would highly recommend an electrolyte vitamin poultry supplement and I would wet her feed (not treats/extras) to make a mash.
Thanks for the recommendations! She was outside in the yard. She seems to have a small wound on one side of her neck and a larger one on the opposite side. Her belly looked like she was dragged before escaping. Maybe a raccoon? She was hiding until yesterday. I had to get my daughters help me catch her and bring her in from the yard. She wanted to lay out in the middle of the yard!!!!! Today she was very annoyed with me for keeping her locked up on the deck. We felt bad keeping her in a confined space…we have a creek down the hill in the backyard. She and our males would go down there all day. In the past few months both males were taken by some critter and now this. We’re going to have to keep her in some type of enclosure. Recommendations on how much space per duck? We’d like to get more once we have a safe place for them.

The wounds on her neck are most likely why she is not eating much. Externally the wounds may look fine, but her neck is still healing on the inside as well which will make eating painful until it is completely healed. Think of it like trying to eat while you have a terrible soar throat. The minimum recommendation for coup size is 4sq ft. Per bird and 11sq ft. Per run. With Pekins being a large breed I would definitely recommend going no fewer than 5-6 sq ft per bird for the coup.

The wounds on her neck are most likely why she is not eating much. Externally the wounds may look fine, but her neck is still healing on the inside as well which will make eating painful until it is completely healed. Think of it like trying to eat while you have a terrible soar throat. The minimum recommendation for coup size is 4sq ft. Per bird and 11sq ft. Per run. With Pekins being a large breed I would definitely recommend going no fewer than 5-6 sq ft per bird for the coup.
Thank you so much. We’re building a new deck and want to incorporate the space under the deck into their shaded run. Then we’ll also build them a comfy coup! Gotta protect our baby and her new friends. Is it okay to have a mix of breeds? Will they get along?

Thank you so much. We’re building a new deck and want to incorporate the space under the deck into their shaded run. Then we’ll also build them a comfy coup! Gotta protect our baby and her new friends. Is it okay to have a mix of breeds? Will they get along?
If you integrate them properly duck of different breeds can get along fine with each other.

Back
Top Bottom