Help our turkey attacked our duck

Mrichard0930

Songster
7 Years
Sep 15, 2016
Hello yesterday I posted because my fiancé was telling me the turkeys were only pecking at the ducks to mess with them and I said they were looking like they’d attack. I asked in a forum what to do about 3 male turkeys trying to be proactive. Too late. The one has a gash that looks pretty deep on beek and was bleeding. She is eating and quacking. Her one eye is watery too. Should we put them in the tub? I wiped the blood away from gash but now what? Thanks

Last edited:
Def need to separate breeding season is upon us. I'd wash her bill off with some watered down Betadine or saline to kill off bacteria. Also wash out her eye. You can put some ACV into her drinking contain [not metal] 1 Tab to a gallon of water it will not sting but can kill off some bacteria and aid in healing. Getting some pics posted will help a lot.

Could you get a few pictures for some duck people to look at?
Do you have them separated now? (Hopefully)
@casportpony
@WVduckchick
@Miss Lydia
Yes they were separated right away I had him bring the ducks inside and had diapers on but I decided to put them in the tub and the blood wiped away and the gash isn’t as bad as I initially thought. They’re both cleaning themselves and quacking away fine. I was so worried at first. I uploaded he pic. He’s trying to figure out what to do with the turkeys now they are non stop strutting. First time turkey owners he got them as poults the cards just did not play out having 3 males. I knew my ducks couldn’t stay in that cage when I saw a few days ago the one come at my duck then yesterday the jump onto my duck I just knew this happen. He got them out in time I bet they’d be dead by now. I have diapers for them so I actually think I’ll figure out a set up inside the house even though we have two cages outside the one is the shed the ducks go in at night we only have the ducks and turkeys in the large run from 730 am - 5 pm then they’re separated. There’s no run on she yet so I’m just going to hold tight they’ll be house ducks until he figures out she’s trukeys all yesterday and today strutting constantly. This stink ! Thanks for your help I did post a pic hopefully it uploads.

Attachments

• 4ACB022E-2A0D-4CF0-973D-C66A29FC3854.jpeg
    4ACB022E-2A0D-4CF0-973D-C66A29FC3854.jpeg
    233.3 KB · Views: 5
Def need to separate breeding season is upon us. I'd wash her bill off with some watered down Betadine or saline to kill off bacteria. Also wash out her eye. You can put some ACV into her drinking contain [not metal] 1 Tab to a gallon of water it will not sting but can kill off some bacteria and aid in healing. Getting some pics posted will help a lot.
Thank you! Will putting some ACv in the tub water be effective or no should I wait until I take them out and let her drink desperate water ?

After bath picture I think it looked way worse before washing it out. I’m holding they’ll be okay. When he brought them in at first the hurt one Webby was shaking and blood all over beak so I panicked. She is fine now acting herself.

Attachments

• FE974504-6FAC-454B-866C-CDAD272A9DCB.png
    FE974504-6FAC-454B-866C-CDAD272A9DCB.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 4
That should heal fine. I put ACV into my flocks drinking water a couple times a week It is a good tonic too. You can put it in their tub water and drinking water. Thankfully you got them out when you did.
Ok thanks!!! Webby is taking a nap so I’m gona let her nap then drain water let new water in tub and fill will a little AVC. They look so content I don’t want to disturb. Thanks everyone

Your not keeping them in the tub in water the whole time you have them inside? I think she is going to be fine and probably very content to be inside away from those hooligan Turkeys
Oh no way ! I have diapers for them once they’re ready to get out. This winter has been rough in mountains and there were period of frozen everything so the baby pool with heater outside water is real mucky this past month we try to change it as much as possible. They are loving the clean tub water. I hatched them in August so they were used to this tub water until having to go outside with yes the hooligan turkeys. They’re so happy right now sleeping but in like an hour I’ll get them out and put diapers on to walk around. Overnight I’ll have to figure out a designated spot to take diapers off and let them sleep. Maybe corner off a room and lay blanket down. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom