Help! Pasty Butt

Vaseline works well for pasty butt too. once you give her the yogurt and keep her cleaned up for a few days the pasty butt should not be a problem anymore just keep an eye on her. once her digestive system gets back to normal and the pasty butt is gone I would recommend you giving them the yogurt twice a week as a treat as well as beneficial to their digestive health. It definitely won't hurt them.

Hope your chicky gets better soon.

after my chicks got over pasty butt I stoped giveing
them yogurt becuse it got in there feathers.
hmm.png

Last edited:
after my chicks got over pasty butt I stoped giveing
them yogurt becuse it got in there feathers.
hmm.png
yea the yogurt is kind of messy but they get it off them fairly quickly with dust baths or they just clean it off themselves..... well...... mine do anyway. and I can deal with yogurt on the feathers a lot better than pasty butt....lol. if i had to choose between cleaning yogurt off of chicken feathers or poop off of chicken butts i would much rather the yogurt lol.

yea the yogurt is kind of messy but they get it off them fairly quickly with dust baths or they just clean it off themselves..... well...... mine do anyway. and I can deal with yogurt on the feathers a lot better than pasty butt....lol. if i had to choose between cleaning yogurt off of chicken feathers or poop off of chicken butts i would much rather the yogurt lol.
x2

So glad it is clearing up! Ours was the tiniest in the group as well, which made it even more worrisome.
Every time she saw my hand coming, she ran away "OH No! The HAND!!!!"

So, I started hand feeding all of them mealworms once a day after I cleaned the one's bottom (just sprinkle grit in their shavings first to help digest)
and WOW do they love them. I talk to them while feeding them.

Now they see me and hear me and all come running every time(which is really helpful now they are in their big girl coop!)

Being new at this is so hard- I feel very responsible for their well-being and safety...

PS I mix in the yogurt with their crumble so it is not so messy-seems to help!

Last edited:
Been reading this entire thread. I have some Brahma chicks 5 of the 10 seem to have this problem. I just cleaned up their butts before going to bed. Only one of them seems to be looking weak. Hope he makes it. I switched their vitamin water with regular water at room Temperature. I will get them some egg tomorrow. Thanks for all the advice.

Make sure they don't get chilled when you wash them.I always take 2 dry chicks, and put them in a stocking cap wit till they dry so they don't get scared and the don't get cold......

Make sure they don't get chilled when you wash them.I always take 2 dry chicks, and put them in a stocking cap wit till they dry so they don't get scared and the don't get cold......

That's not a bad idea. I raised a litter of baby oppossums once and I kept them in a shoebox inside a ski cap. LOL! That did a great job of retaining their combined body heat. I don't normally raise wildlife myself, but it was a bad year for floods and I found a dead momma on the road with one wiggling baby next to her in the mud. I couldn't leave them. She had 11 total and I had to care for them until the nature center by the zoo was back in their flooded building.

As for pasty butt... I got 3 guinea keets on Sunday and one had some crusties a day later. I brought 'her' in to wash 'her' parts and she started to tremble. I felt so bad! I did it the same way I do the chicks and I've never had a chick get chilled. 'She' was fine once I put 'her' back under the light with her friends and nothing seems to be sticking today.

The timing of my keet purchase worked out pretty good. My sister hates raising chicks and she has several hens with babies right now. One hatched out spraddle legged and her 18 year old daughter refused to let them do it in. She put a bandaid on it's legs and sent it to me. It's the same size as the keets, so it has a 'flock' now. lol.

Back
Top Bottom