Help! Pasty Butt

Hey guys, I know this thread is kind of old but I'm having my first pasty butt problem. The area aroung the vent looks like it's protruding. Is this normal for pasy butt? I checked her yesterday and she was fine, so it isn't a case of being blocked for too long. At least not blocked on the outside. I took a picture so be prepared.

Sometimes chickens will have a prolapse of their vent when they have a stool. Keep the area clean, if it comes out place a tiny bit of oil on it and push it back in. Sometimes honey or Preparation H is used to shrink the tissue so it will go back in. It can happen again, and you will need to make sure the other chicks don't peck at it because they can kill her. Here is a picture of a prolapse in a 3 week old: https://www.backyardchickens.com/g/i/5873051/a/6517304/3wk-old-chick-is-this-prolapse/

Have lost about 5 out of 100, assuming to pasty butt. Been cleaning way too many butts! Am going to try the eggs and yogurt. Already give ACV in the water. Tried the olive oil on a q-tip.

I have been seeing a weak one and pick it up and they have a huge rock of poop on their butt. Some chicks end up getting trampled and I'm now thinking that it might all be going back to pasty butt. Ugh.

Wish I could have enough broody hens to keep me in enough chicks to not have to go through this. The broody mamas do a much better job than I do!

Time to go check some butts. Wish me luck!

Have any of you tried feeding fermented feed? I feed fermented feed and put 1 tablespoon of unpasteurized apple cider vinegar (with mother) per gallon of water. I don't know but I have read that pasty butt is constipation from drinking too little water.

I just picked up 4 little Barred Rock pullets and one of them, (I discoverered after I got home!) had an inch long/sq. turd rock on her butt. Eww...
SO...

I tried the peroxide as mentioned previously, (put some in a 1/3 C. measuring cup) lowered her butt in there and waited with a stack of perviously piled up paper towels! ;)

It took about 3 or 4 soakings, but came off.

I did not have any Vaseline, so had to use Neosporin.. (Hope that's okay??!!)

So far so good. I put her with others in the brooder, and watched a while to see if they all went cannibal on her, but one kind of pecked once then that was it.

Thanks posters. I was sure hoping I'd never have to use this info, but ironically.. I was just reading it LAST NIGHT.. lol

Will a 3-4 week old chick develop pasty butt? I have 3 and only one has a problem. They are in a brooder at just above 85, have fresh water daily and chick feed.
I have never seen pasty butt in a hatchery or feed store chick past 7 days. I think your brooder temp is a little too high--for 3-4 weeks. I would drop it to 75-80, and in a week 70-75. They really don't need as hot a brooder as some think, and always have a cooler section for them to escape the heat. Broody raised chicks get out in fairly cool temps with Mama, and only go under her periodically during the daytime hours.

Back
Top Bottom