Help: Peachick with swollen face! ?

ellymayRans

Songster
7 Years
Dec 20, 2012
Martinsville, Indiana
My Coop
My Coop
Due to the holiday I honestly am not sure if this took a few days to develop or if it truly happened overnight but I do keep a close watch on them. This morning however when I let them out I had one that has something protruding out of its eye and its face is very swollen. It's eating and drinking. I have separated it but I'm not sure what the issue is. It doesn't appear to be having problems breathing either.

Is that a cyst or maybe a puss pocket? Any help would be very appreciated!

Lol..sad thing is I wouldn't have known any better until I did my own research! I have never dealt in kg or ml..etc.

I'm a network engineer. .I could talk octet placement all day though! Lol

It's actually way easier than U.S. units... everything's related by powers of 10... and prefixes for how many, kilo = thousand of whatever unit, milli = one thousandth of whatever unit, centi is 100, etc, etc.

milliliters (1 /1000 of a liter) are the same as cc's (cubic centimeters)

Looks like an injury to me. The haw, the inner eyelid, looks to be swollen and the redness at the front of the eye looks like injury. If it was infection the sinus would probably be swollen too. I wouldn't rule out allergies, but that redness makes me think it either got picked on or it ran into something.

Poor guy!
hugs.gif

Our boy Minny had something like that several years ago - I couldn't get a really good look at it at the time because these guys free range and I couldn't catch him.
It ended up going away on its own but he's now blind in that eye. So I'd recommend that you take your poor little guy to a vet if that is at all possible.

Thanks for all the input! Luckily we have an exotic vet not too far and I'm just going to take her there tomorrow. I found them last night and made the call this morning. I'm able to drop her off on my way to work and they will fit her in at some point during the day. This morning it appeared that the abscess may have popped. Yesterday it was a protrusion this morning it was all gooped up. The vet is a $65 exam then of course whatever treatment is required but said they would call with that information before proceeding. I'll be interested to see what they say, recommend and charge. I'm hoping to be able to be there during treatment though as a learning experience. I'm just not completely comfortable with anything having to do with an eye!

I am at work and didn't look down her throat but I could tell when observing her that she seemed to be swallowing often which led me to believe she was experiencing some drainage. Is that a symptom of something other than a simple injury?

Taking her to the vet is really your best option as all we can do is guess from long distance. You are either looking at allergies, eye injury, or respiratory infection. I would give her the half ml/cc of Tylan 200 as suggested above if I could not afford the vet bill. The Tylan would probably do the trick if it is not allergies. Keep us informed.

Back
Top Bottom