Help: Peachick with swollen face! ?

Thanks for all the input! Luckily we have an exotic vet not too far and I'm just going to take her there tomorrow. I found them last night and made the call this morning. I'm able to drop her off on my way to work and they will fit her in at some point during the day. This morning it appeared that the abscess may have popped. Yesterday it was a protrusion this morning it was all gooped up. The vet is a $65 exam then of course whatever treatment is required but said they would call with that information before proceeding. I'll be interested to see what they say, recommend and charge. I'm hoping to be able to be there during treatment though as a learning experience. I'm just not completely comfortable with anything having to do with an eye!

Such good news to be able to take her to a vet that will know what to do
yippiechickie.gif
Ditto squeamishness about eye problems... that's a scary place to work on a critter.

It could be several things, including a sinus infection. Also, Tylan can be extremely helpful, but Tylan injections can cause permanent tissue/muscle damage at the injection site, so I would proceed extremely cautiously with Tylan injections and make sure you know exactly where to give it... Definitely something to discuss with your vet if you are considering trying to give injections on your own. We just had posts from some poor soul who managed to clear up the infections that were killing a whole flock with Tylan injections, but sadly, one of the birds became paralyzed, likely as a result of the injections
hit.gif
I'm still hoping the bird improved, but I don't think we heard anything further... that's a very difficult outcome.

Of course taking her to the vet is the best thing to do, but ff she were my bird and I couldn't take her to the vet I would give her Baytril orally or by injection in the breast, and I'd probably also use a steroid eye drop, but I'd only use the drops if I was 100% sure it was not an injury.

To me it looks like a sinus infection.

-Kathy

I did a lot of reading since finding her and did come across the thread and instance that is being referenced. Big reason why I didn't feel comfortable providing that type of injection and not certain if it truly is an injury or respiratory type issue. I will certainly keep everyone up to speed on the outcome. I really don't know what to think. She's the same one I had treated for a injury to her beak a few weeks back. She seemed all healed up and fine. I just wish I knew for sure when it actually started. I'll be home shortly, clean her eye again and look her over.

After getting home I can see more of her eye..after cleaning the massive eye burger that had crusted over the entire eye! It's definitely draining more but she also seems to have noticeable drainage coming from her nostril on that side. My teenage son informed me he saw her like this on Saturday but didn't say anything thinking I already knew! (Shaking my head!) So now I know it didn't happen overnight.

Drainage from the nostril and eye is most likely a sinus infection. Are you still going to take her to the vet? The vet will be able to give you safe, oral antibiotics. While you have her there, have them check her poop for coccidia and worm eggs.

-Kathy

Drainage from the nostril and eye is most likely a sinus infection. Are you still going to take her to the vet? The vet will be able to give you safe, oral antibiotics. While you have her there, have them check her poop for coccidia and worm eggs.

-Kathy

Yes, I plan to have her there around opening hour @ 8am. I would have to agree with you on the sinus infection and yes I will be asking for the fecal float. Take opportunities when you can I say!

Thanks @castportpony!

Yes, I plan to have her there around opening hour @ 8am. I would have to agree with you on the sinus infection and yes I will be asking for the fecal float. Take opportunities when you can I say!

Thanks @castportpony!

Don't count on her pooping at the vets office, she probably will or have some in the carrier, but I would make sure to take a fresh sample from the cage you keep her in just to be sure you have a good test sample. Have the vet show you the inside of the throat so you will know what to look for in the future, and take note when she gives an injection so you will have a good idea how to do it yourself. Don't be shy asking questions, it's your dime they are earning. The fecal float is a really good idea! Let's hope they don't find anything.

Don't count on her pooping at the vets office, she probably will or have some in the carrier, but I would make sure to take a fresh sample from the cage you keep her in just to be sure you have a good test sample.  Have the vet show you the inside of the throat so you will know what to look for in the future, and take note when she gives an injection so you will have a good idea how to do it yourself.  Don't be shy asking questions, it's your dime they are earning.  The fecal float is a really good idea!  Let's hope they don't find anything.

I'm not a shy one nor am I squeamish just have a genetic disorder that causes me to shake too much to trust myself to do lancing or injections. We vaccinate our chicks but my DH is funny. .he won't let me give the subcu shots in fear I'll stab him. So I pinch the skin and do my best to hold still barely well enough for him to perform the vaccinations. I'm only 38, can't imagine what I'll be like in 20 years. My dear dad is in his early 50's and can't even eat soups anymore.

Ok..back to the subject. .sorry. Good point about taking a sample before leaving. Thanks!

Well I couldn't be with them as being a"drop off" appointment they take her in the back part of the hospital and I'm not allowed there. So I went on to work. The vet called me about 11am asked some questions and proceeded to throw a few ideas around. Noothers with any of these symptoms. ..but 1 being from injury or 2 infection of some sort. She suggested MG testing for $75 for the fact I have other birds. .and surgery for sedation/lansing and cleaned with antibiotics. . $300 total "ballpark"

Sigh...yes xmas is only weeks away. .sure. . I've decided to pass on testing at the moment. I'll have to save back some after the holiday. From what I've read if one has it they likely all do and she wouldn't be cured of it if she does. ..So....

Back
Top Bottom