HELP! Placing chicks under broody hen didn't go well

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by upto7, Aug 19, 2011.

1. upto7

upto7 New Egg

Jul 11, 2011
    Here's the story. I have a free range hen that was sitting on unfertilized eggs for 2 1/2 weeks. The eggs were really stinky. She got off her nest for a while yesterday and I managed to remove all the eggs. I replaced the eggs with 3 egg shaped rocks. She accepted those as her eggs. I purchased 4 day old chicks from the feed store. Last night after dark - around 9 pm I went to her nesting place. (She made her nest behind a garage door panel leaning up against a building.) I tilted back the door panel so I could get to her and place the chicks. We had to use a flashlight so we could see where she was sitting. I took the chicks and placed them one at a time under her wings. I didn't get the rocks out. She began pecking at the chicks. The chicks were quiet and seemed happy to be with a mom. I put the door panel back in place and waited a couple of minutes to see how things would go. I could hear her pecking at the door panels. So, I tilted the panel back again and removed the chicks. I was concerned for their safety. I put the panel back.
    So, now what do I do? Do I try this again tonight? I think I need to try to get the chicks under her belly and take away the rocks which I didn't do last night. She is a free range chicken that I adopted about 2 months ago. She really isn't used to being handled by humans. Any help and advice is greatly appreciated.
    Thank you!

2. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    There are of course exceptions but what you're trying to do usually doesn't work.

3. Kaeta44

Kaeta44 Chillin' With My Peeps

I've heard the opposite - that it very often does work. I'd remove the egg-rocks and place the chicks under her wings as quickly and quietly as you possibly can - then get out of there and leave her to it. She'll need time to settle after the disturbance.

http://muckycluckers.blogspot.com/

4. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    Quote:I'm with Red. It generally does not work.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by