Help...Please. 3 sick chickens, droopie combs, not eating, purchased safeguard paste, Corid..doses??

Since your chickens are 3 years old, I would probably go ahead and give them a dose of Safe guard (fenbendazole) and start the Corid. If you think those white specks in the poop are tapeworms as Dawg53 has pointed out, you will need to give the SafeGuard for 3 days in a row--is that right Dawg? Again, if you think you have tapeworm, the SafeGuard dosage may need to be increased to 1 ml for 3 days, instead of 1/2 ml for 3 days.

Last edited:
Since your chickens are 3 years old, I would probably go ahead and give them a dose of Safe guard (fenbendazole) and start the Corid. If you think those white specks in the poop are tapeworms as Dawg53 has pointed out, you will need to give the SafeGuard for 3 days in a row--is that right Dawg?
Not safeguard. Valbazen or zimectrin gold. Z-gold would be much cheaper, a pea size amount orally, then repeat again in 10 days. (If in fact it's tapes, OP isnt sure.)

Since your chickens are 3 years old, I would probably go ahead and give them a dose of Safe guard (fenbendazole) and start the Corid. If you think those white specks in the poop are tapeworms as Dawg53 has pointed out, you will need to give the SafeGuard for 3 days in a row--is that right Dawg? Again, if you think you have tapeworm, the SafeGuard dosage may need to be increased to 1 ml for 3 days, instead of 1/2 ml for 3 days. Here is a study about it: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6750887
Thanks Dawg. Okay, I hope you are not totally confused now. Just go ahead and treat with SafeGuard 1/2 ml for each chicken, start the Corid, and IF you think you may have tapeworm, then when the next dose is due in 10 days, it may be best to use Zimectrin Gold, about $9, versus Valbazen, about $30. Then repeat that in 10 more days with Zimectrin Gold or Valbazen.

hi again, thank you to all the replies, I started all 5 hens on corid in their water this morning. My really sick hen is still alive...amazing!..she is very weak, no muscle on chest, can't stand long. Is eating very little. I gave her eyedroppers of corid water down throat along with mashed pellets. I 'm not sure if she has tape worms or parasites. The little round things were flat, not like sesame seed thickness. Very watery poop on a few of the hens. So, it is ok to start all of the hens on corid in their water AND safeguard paste? at the same time?. Also...the really sick hen weighs about maybe 2 lbs or so. Would I give her a baby pea size of safe guard paste?

I checked the other two lethargic hens for crop bound this morning, both have a firm crop. I gave eyedropper each of olive oil and massaged their crop. I will check tomorrow morning to see if they are freed up, if not, do I do more olive oil, then massage and then tip them and try to get them to throw up? You guys can tell that I'm surely a novice at all this..

hi dawg, I just went to look at her and give her some water. next to her was poop that had those in it (post # 10) although I don't know if it was hers but she is the only one in the coop right now so I guess it is hers. now what, should I give her the safe guard paste? that is all I have? and what should the amount be...1/2 ml or 1 ml. ? Too much won't kill her will it? Like I said she is about 2 lbs now, just skin and bones. the time is 3:49 EST right now, I'll wait by the computer

hi dawg, I just went to look at her and give her some water. next to her was poop that had those in it (post # 10) although I don't know if it was hers but she is the only one in the coop right now so I guess it is hers. now what, should I give her the safe guard paste? that is all I have? and what should the amount be...1/2 ml or 1 ml. ? Too much won't kill her will it? Like I said she is about 2 lbs now, just skin and bones. the time is 3:49 EST right now, I'll wait by the computer
Those are tapeworm segments. Your hen has tapeworms, now you know why she is sick...skin and bones. Safeguard will not kill tapeworms. Take the safeguard equine paste back where you got it from and swap it out for Zimectrin Gold equine paste. It will kill tapeworms. Here's a pic what it looks like:
Dosage for your 2 pound hen is a small "pea" size amount of the zimectrin gold paste given orally. Redose her again in 10 days.

hi, I checked with the feed store, they are out of Zimecterin but have equamax for tape worms in horses.my husband is picking it up as I type this. Is equamax alright to use in the pea size for the hen with tape worms?

hi, I checked with the feed store, they are out of Zimecterin but have equamax for tape worms in horses.my husband is picking it up as I type this. Is equamax alright to use in the pea size for the hen with tape worms?
Equimax will work, same dosage as z-gold....a SMALL pea size amount orally.

I forgot to add; once you dose her, keep an eye on her feces for the first 24 hours or so, you might see evidence of the tapeworm excreted. Tapeworms are flat and segmented, come in all shapes and sizes. They might look like a flat piece of macaroni or jellyfish like tentacles, or broken up curly q segments. Then again you might not see anything in feces. The worm(s) would be digested as protein in the digestive tract. Let us know how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom